Gotta have volume!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markedman

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
One equation that is forgotten and sometimes overlooked when analyzing an amp's tone is plain old volume. A lunch box amp at bedroom volume will not feed forward enough sound through the guitar pick-ups to attain natural sustain and the touch sensitivity that you get at stage volume. The amp's true potential is realized once you've experienced it in a live setting. If you don't perform or jam with other musicians, I can understand how a modeling amp or 5 watt settings would thrill you and reading what I've written in this post would sound confusing but it seems to be a very overlooked variable when talking about an amp's tone.
Mark amps, including the JP2C, are made with performance in mind so when analyzing them at low volume, a disservice in being done when it causes the operator to conclude, "I have regrets in purchasing the Mark series amp!"

Which is why a slant 2x12 or 4x12 is important as well, or tilting back your combo. Projection adds a lot to sustain and sensitivity.

Someone should make this fact known to most sound men at venues. Some of these places are running 20,000 watt systems and want everyone to use bedroom volume on stage. I never got that. Can you turn down, you're overloading my mics and can't balance the guitars with the drums and bass. Uh no turn the guitar mics down in the mix and blend the drums and bass into the stage amp volume amps. It's not as if the guitar amps are wide open at 1960s era arena volume.

bjorn218 said:
Someone should make this fact known to most sound men at venues. Some of these places are running 20,000 watt systems and want everyone to use bedroom volume on stage. I never got that. Can you turn down, you're overloading my mics and can't balance the guitars with the drums and bass. Uh no turn the guitar mics down in the mix and blend the drums and bass into the stage amp volume amps.

Never trust the sound guy!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

If I cannot feel it, it is not loud enough. :shock:

JP-2C is an excellent instrument and is best served at noon or higher on the master. However if you need to dial it back you can still get a lot out of the amp if you turn on the shred feature (bedroom playing that sounds like you are running it full tilt, almost) 2x412, will have to do that again, but will wait until 3am so I can make it worth while. :mrgreen:

Back