My band's meeting with a big time Manager But...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viendette

Reaction score
So a big time manager (She managed some very big names) is meeting with us ie. going to watch us perform and then give us feedback. Here's the But...she wants $200. $100 for watching our 1hour performance another $100 for a 1hour consultation after wer perform. Soooooo is this normal in the music industry? (We approached her fyi) Do you or should we pay $200 for her o check us out? Will anything come of it? Or are we just paying for her feedback? Again she managed some HUGE names in the day...Anyone with industry experience please chime in!

I'm not sure about the relevance specifically to the music industry, but someone with highly credentialed experience is going to command a premium for their advice. Unless you happen to be related to them, chances are, they won't do it out of the goodness in their heart. And $100/hour for a consult is stinking cheap.

When I was a pro I had at different times 2 managers. Neither of them did what you're asking about. In my opinion why bother with her? We used to say it takes one person to love you (even if all the others hate your band.) Her opinion will just be what she likes or dislikes about your band and really wouldn't be important to me if I were the artist.

I would write music I love and go all out with it. Play and practice as much as you can. You'll know if you're doing it right by your crowd. If you're killing them then you're on the right track. (I'm a 3 time major label signee.. practice practice practice.)

I guess, at the end of the day, if you really value her opinion and you value it at $200. and think it's worth it then by all means, pay it.
I wouldn't... just my 2 cents.

Assuming you trust her credentials, I might pay $200 to hear some feedback. I guess it's not really that much split up between four or five guys. I would not however, be comfortable paying someone to see if they like me or want to work with me. I know that this is around less and less these days, but when adding someone to my team, it's almost like adding another band member. You want someone that understands your vision.

I'm in agreement with barfly, just be the best you can be and get out there as much as you can. That's all you can do on your end. If it's in the cards, you will have someone that will recognize your vision and it's significance. Who may be almost as excited as you are and wont feel the need to ask for a fee

I wouldn't do it. Those type of folk are looked down upon, at least in the Nashville area, as shady opportunists, no matter how big of names they say they've managed before. If they like you and end up managing your band, they're set to make money off of you anyway. It's not like she's there to do you favors.

I had a similar thing happen where a couple who were "well known in the industry" said they wanted to hear my stuff. I sent it to them and they said they were interested, they just wanted me to work through their "musician mentoring" program where you pay them like $600 bucks for an assessment and one hour discussion on where they could take your future. No refunds, of course, if they didn't end up taking you anywhere. I didn't give them the time of day after that. It's all about integrity.

Ask her if she minds if you talk to her other current or former "big name" clients.
That'll nip this right in the bud.
Don't be surprised when the tent folds and she magically disappears into the night.

If you do decide to pay her, make her carry some of your gear and help set up...In all seriousness, I agree with MrMarkIII. References are standard in just about any industry. If she develops an attitude about it, you don't want to work with her.

If she the chance to actually help you make some headway in the industry, she stands to make money on you no matter what. Not sure what the hourly rate is all about. At the very least, I would get a better understanding of what her advice is actually intended to accomplish. If you like her answers and think it's worth the money, then do it.

If you trust her references, $200 is cheap! Getting the advice of an industry vet can be invaluable. As far as contacting her previous clients - forgettaboutit. Any music industry pro who gives out rock stars contact info becomes an convenience store industry pro, lol. From what you stated, she isn't looking to take you on as a client, but is available as a consultant. $200 is nothing if she has been through the fire a few times. Sometimes, the fee is a test of your seriousness. If you aren't willing to spend $200 for her knowledge, you **** sure aren't going to give her 15% to manage you, or 5k to introduce you to the playas who will.

Be warned, however, that you may not like what you hear. Be prepared for brutal honesty, because that's what you are paying for.

Back