Song played testing a guitar.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markedman

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Whenever I pick up a new acoustic guitar to test it out, I play a song by Alice Cooper titled "Desperado" because it is difficult to play. It starts out in B flat with open strings ringing and I have to stretch out my pinky up to A on the high E string while remaining in B flat on the first fret, so if I can play that song without any trouble, I can further evaluate it's other attributes knowing at least it's a good player. I've been using that song since 1982 to evaluate acoustic guitars. For electrics it's Pantera's "Cowboys from Hell" that I like to play for testing. Anybody else out there have a song that is what they consider to be a good new guitar tester song?

I use a wide array of bits and bobs to test for comfort and tone. Unless you are demoing two basically identical guitars, no one piece will do the trick. Try playing Pantera on a telecaster, for example.

I play slow and easy stuff so I can concentrate on the sound and feel of the guitar rather than showing off and being distracted.

Boy you righties have it rough!!ha! :D As a lifetime southpaw, I have to gamble on each one....then I get a great setup job and adapt to the axe...then I play whatever I want

I do have a go to riff for amps, however.."Balls to the wall". In 20 seconds you know if it's a keeper or not

lesterpaul said:
Boy you righties have it rough!!ha! :D As a lifetime southpaw, I have to gamble on each one....then I get a great setup job and adapt to the axe...then I play whatever I want

I'll second that. It's crazy to think that I have literally dropped thousands of dollars only hoping that I'll be happy with my choice. If I get a lefty to play in a store, I have no preference. I am just happy to be playing something that isn't upside down.

Latest posts

Back