Best Replacement Guitarist?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markedman

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I just got through seeing Slayer and thought that Gary Holt did a good job replacing Jeff Hanneman, so I was thinking, who was the best replacement guitarist? Mick Taylor with the Rolling Stones? Janick Gers who replaced Adrian Smith in Iron Maiden, he' so good they kept him when Adrian joined back in. Steve Gains who replaced Ed King (for touring, at first) with Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Triaxstasy said:
Chris Broderick in Megadeth!

That's funny. I thought they went downhill after Marty left. :lol:
Different strokes.....

On that same line I wonder what could have been if Mustaine and Burton stayed in Metallica.

Cool thread! Up-front disclaimer: All statements of preference are, of course, imho. :lol:

Mick Taylor was definitely the best replacement guitarist for the Stones; my personal favorite of any guitarist the Stones ever had or still have. Ron Wood is probably the best "fit" they ever had (grooves like the Keef, but with cooler chops), but he never played better than when he was with The Faces.

Steve Gaines - He wasn't really a replacement, but rather an addition to Rossington and Collins. And, by account of everybody in the band at that time, he was their best guitarist.

But my pick for best replacement guitarist has to be Marc Ford who replaced Jeff Cease after the first Black Crowes album. I liked Luther Dickinson and the new guy, Jackie Greene, but Marc really brought something special.

Monsta-Tone said:
Dave Gilmour in Pink Floyd too!

This one tops them all. I sometimes have to remind myself that he was "the other guy" in the beginning.

John Frusciante. One of my favorite guitar players to this day. He puts a nice touch on a lot of songs and doesn't over do it.

I agree with these last 3. Gilmour - enough said. Wylde, while not my favorite, and nowhere near Randy Rhoads, did arguably contribute to some very memorable Ozzy material. Frusciante was a good call as well. BSSM is one of my favorite albums.

I disagree with Steve Morse in either Kansas or DP. I LOVE him as a guitarist, but he never seems to be a part of any of the really great material from the bands he subs in. He was really at his best in the Dregs and solo.

I liked Trevor Rabin in Yes. And Rutherford in Genesis.

Steve Howe for Peter Banks in Yes. Now that could be the best replacement ever. Steve won the best guitarist in "Guitar PLayer" magazine's poll year after year in the seventies.

Ulrich Roth for Michael Schenker in the Scorpions, then Matthias Jabs for Ulrich Roth, then Michael Schenker for Matthias Jabs, then finally Matthias for Michael Schenker....oh I am so confused now...all three great replacements for the Scorpions at one time or another.

The somewhat secret replacement? Steve Wagner when he filled on for Joe Perry on Aerosmith album.

The leads in Train Kept a Rollin are far beyond anything on any other Aerosmith album. When I heard that song, even I could tell that was not the band guitarist. He played that one song on the album. It is obviously way beyond the others!

Gilmour. Amazing player. Just perfectly compliments songs.

Monsta-Tone said:
Wasn't Uli the guy on Virgin Killer? That is some bad *** sh!t
Yes. Uli also played on Taken By Force, Fly to the Rainbow, In Trance, and Tokyo Tapes. He is one incredible musician.

Monsta-Tone said:
Wasn't Uli the guy on Virgin Killer? That is some bad *** sh!t

Yes my good friend, and if you like Uli you should check "Taken by Force" and "In Trance" that are better **** on those :D

and for the topic . . . Adrian Smith replacing Dennis Stratton in Maiden.

Back