Discovered April Wine ... Wow

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heritage Softail

Reaction score
I was bumping thru some vids on YT. Found Gypsy Queen. A cool tune. Then found Roller and a bunch of other cool tunes.

The guitar sound was quite modern really. Aside of a little boost, they had a great smoking crunchy tone.

Anybody else dig April Wine?

I also like Kix. Some of those bands that rode the P90 pups had a great raw crunchy tone.

One of the guitarists is a member over on RigTalk. Can't remember how active he is or what his username was, but a search for April Wine might turn something up where he mentions his band.

I actually got in touch with one of the past members. Very Cool. Gotta love the interwebz.

Just straight up good time rock and roll. Part of why playing guitar is just plain old fun.

I love gear, and leaning new things, but it all gets back to capturing that feeling back when I was a teenager slamming out my best version go Ace Frehley doing some Kiss Alive I.

:lol:

Heritage Softail said:
I actually got in touch with one of the past members. Very Cool. Gotta love the interwebz.

Just straight up good time rock and roll. Part of why playing guitar is just plain old fun.

I love gear, and leaning new things, but it all gets back to capturing that feeling back when I was a teenager slamming out my best version go Ace Frehley doing some Kiss Alive I.

:lol:
a big *** PLUS 1000x1000!!!!!!amen bro

In 1980/1981 when I was still in high school my dad let me drive his van 200 miles to Seattle with some friends to see them in concert at the Paramount Theatre. I think it may have been my first concert...

mikebu said:
In 1980/1981 when I was still in high school my dad let me drive his van 200 miles to Seattle with some friends to see them in concert at the Paramount Theatre. I think it may have been my first concert...

I never got to see them. I was able to chat with Steven Segal, guitarist for a bit. Very cool. They did some cool stuff with layers and basic riffs that morphed into complex things. I like the raw guitar sound. In a vid I see an old Boogie head. Great guitar tones.

A great band. The singer was great as well.

Another cool Canadian rocker from the mid to late seventies is Pat Travers. He put out some great albums like 'Makin' Magic', 'Putting it Straight' and 'Heat in the Street'.
Actually, he is still making some good blues music now days but I love his old rock stuff.
If you like April Wine you may want to look into Pat too. 8)

Vigo1999 said:
wow, odd, never ever heard of them . . . my fault. they remind me Foghat a lot, specially the vocals.

like it. :D

What.....I thought you were a rocker G-Man! :lol:
I still keep them on my ipod. I keep it on shuffle at work. It'll go from Suicidal to April Wine to Zappa....Erratic, just the way I like it!!!

Monsta-Tone said:
Vigo1999 said:
wow, odd, never ever heard of them . . . my fault. they remind me Foghat a lot, specially the vocals.

like it. :D

What.....I thought you were a rocker G-Man! :lol:
I still keep them on my ipod. I keep it on shuffle at work. It'll go from Suicidal to April Wine to Zappa....Erratic, just the way I like it!!!

Hey A-Bro!! :D

man, and I dare to say i know a LOT of "obscured" bands, but that one passed. Have to dig my old cassetes (shhhh, we and another old folks here know what is this, but the "Y" generation never ever heard off :mrgreen: ) and see if I find something.

Grobschnitt have a place on that ipod?? :wink:

Had "Crash & Burn" blaring in my ipod at work yesterday!

Hey A-Bro!! :D

man, and I dare to say i know a LOT of "obscured" bands, but that one passed. Have to dig my old cassetes (shhhh, we and another old folks here know what is this, but the "Y" generation never ever heard off :mrgreen: ) and see if I find something.

Grobschnitt have a place on that ipod?? :wink:
I was in a record store 20 years ago and somebody asked me what a 12" vinyl was....... :lol:

No Grobschnitt, but I do have some Powerman 5000, Lords of Acid, April Wine, Suicidal, Zep, Rush, Widespread, Man or AstroMan, and tons of Zappa......

The album 'Nature of the Beast' is the best by April Wine. Myles Goodwyn is a great songwriter.

THTH said:
The album 'Nature of the Beast' is the best by April Wine. Myles Goodwyn is a great songwriter.

Steve actually sent something to Myles to sign by fed ex, signed it himself, then shipped it to me.

As legitimate rock stars, I must say they are straight up guys. Very cool to see and chat with the people that paid the price of being a full time music slave and bring us the music.

I have watched some of the various live recordings on YT. They could seriously bring the blues and rock guitar.

Much respect.

Heritage Softail said:
THTH said:

Steve actually sent something to Myles to sign by fed ex, signed it himself, then shipped it to me.

As legitimate rock stars, I must say they are straight up guys. Very cool to see and chat with the people that paid the price of being a full time music slave and bring us the music.

I have watched some of the various live recordings on YT. They could seriously bring the blues and rock guitar.

Much respect.
Nice! Very talented musician.

Back