Anybody Work In More Than One Band?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundchaser59

Reaction score
Question: Anybody here playing in more than one working band? I've been tempted to think a guy could work with 2 different bands, if each band was not on the road and not gigging too often. If so, how do you juggle it and what are the pros/cons of hanging with more than one?

I play in two bands. One every Sunday at church (FBC-Plano, TX), the other an all original band (Racing Gravity). It's a very good situation. Both bands are all pro players who come prepared and love to play. We never have conflicts on Sundays because several members of RG are worship leaders. I love the balance of consistency and creativity.

You can check out some of our RG stuff at http://racinggravity.com

I'm not in more than one band but I've been in bands where other members were in other bands and, more often than not, they weren't really dedicated to learning the songs or getting tight with the band. They were just in it for the money and usually ended up leaving after realizing that they were spreading themselves really thin and probably bit off more than they could chew.

Nowdays, this is a question I ask when considering joining a band ... "are any members in any other bands?"
If the answer is yes, I politely decline.

Dino. said:
I'm not in more than one band but I've been in bands where other members were in other bands and, more often than not, they weren't really dedicated to learning the songs or getting tight with the band. They were just in it for the money and usually ended up leaving after realizing that they were spreading themselves really thin and probably bit off more than they could chew.

Nowdays, this is a question I ask when considering joining a band ... "are any members in any other bands?"
If the answer is yes, I politely decline.

I've seen this as well. Depending on the situation, it's often not a good idea. I know some players that are in several 'working' bands. What it really is is a bunch of players pulling gigs to earn side cash. It almost always is given the least amount of dedication in order to meet the expectations of the gig. 'Good enough' still gets paid, so that's all you get. I can see that for a full time musician who is needing the extra opportunities. I have no quarrel with that at all.

If you are part of a creative group with expectations of growth within the band, a gig mentality creates conflict. I've watched members 'move on' because their commitment level was not in agreement with the band. It's never easy. I'm very thankful for my situation. I have two groups that all are there for the right reasons. They don't conflict and are both a pleasure to be in. Sundays are easy because everyone comes prepared and loves what they do. We even got tossed a fun card for an outreach last month. We played a park and the church asked us to play 'secular' music. We threw a full blues set together (SRV, Albert King, Joe Bonamassa). We had a blast and everyone loved it.

To make that day even more fun, Racing Gravity played too. I got to wear two hats, play in two bands on the same stage and even got paid twice. Everyone had a great time. It doesn't get much better than that for me... Mongo VERY thankful!

I would think someone trying to be in two bands that cover much of the same material could be asking for trouble.

But being in two bands that cover different styles and have different song lists would likely create less of a conflict.

I play in two completely different bands. One is an oldies (50s & 60s) group and the other is a "traditional" bar band. Completely different styles of music and guitar tones. There are times I wish I wasn't in in more than one, but the personal satisfaction I get from such a diverse blend of music satisfies my musical soul. Of course, my wife often wishes I wasn't in any band, but she knew about this before we married.

First off, Hello! I am new here! I am not a Mesa Boogie owner-YET! I play in 3 plus bands. Yes it takes a lot of my time but it's better than wasting away! Keeps a guitar in my hands and all 3 bands play mostly original music. I love it!!

I used to always be in two bands at once. One was usually a cover band and the other all original music....never seemed to work out right. Always had conflicts.

Our singer is in 4 bands. She's always late to gigs, never sets anything up on her own, rarely shows up to practice, but always has an opinion on everything we do......If she wasn't a great singer that knew every venue on the island, I would sing.

On a side note, we finally found a replacement drummer (been looking since August of last year), so I guess I'm not really in a band or something like that.....it's like herding cats!

Back