Cold Weather Gear Transport

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
I'm going to be relocating to flatlands aka Manitoba from Ontario so I'm wondering if there is anything I should be concerned about. Going to be transporting all my gear most likely in a van or a trailer for two very long days in what may be extreme temperatures.

Any thoughts?

Back the strings off on your guitar a couple turns and make sure they're in cases. When you arrive at your destination leave the case closed and allow the guitar to warm up slowly before opening the case up.

The rest (amps, cabs, pedals) is no big deal. Just don't get them wet.

Cold metal things brought into a warm house will cause condensation on the cold surface, just like the outside of a cold glass on a hot day. Water is generally believed to be bad for electronics, so let them come to room temperature over several hours (not minutes) before use.
The above advice for guitars is spot on. Don't follow it and the frozen paint will remain rigid while the wood underneath it expands more rapidly, causing the finish to crack in many places. This is what they mean by "finish checking".

Latest posts

Back