RIP 1960 RI LP Classic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knotts

Reaction score
Tonight I watched my band mates 1960 LP Classics reissue get knocked over by a dog and the headstock just crack and half :shock:. It was terrible. The dogs owner and lead singer vowed to buy him a new one. It wasn't even my guitar but I can't imagine how much that just sucks.

It could be repaired. But if the dog owners and lead singer vowed to buy him a new one, he should go for it.

I've seen some repair person / luthier that would glue it back up and claimed is good as new. Some use splines but I prefer an overlay.

I've done this repair. Well, I'm a weekend woodworker warrior and like challenges.

Depending how much wood is lost, try to recover all the pieces even if the splinters for the luthier to glue it back up.

Nice job on the repair. I think he's going for the repair. I think it's a sentimental thing. He's got plenty of guitars, but this is the he brings to play. I'll suggest the overlay to him. I believe it would hold up much better. Not much wood was lost, actually hardly any at all. It looks exactly like yours did.

Thanks

Now that the headstock is broken and once repaired it will be a true Gibson now. :lol: This is something I was always told when I was younger. A Gibson isn't a Gibson until the headstock has been broken off and repaired. Not to make light of your friends guitar because anything like that happening sucks bigtime. I had an 83 Studio that fell and same thing happened. Got it repaired and the darned thing actually sounded better than before the break.

That's funny. It was already repaired once so it's the second time it broke in the same spot. They went with buying a new one. The purchaser took the old one off his hands and is looking to fix it at some point in the future.

knotts said:
That's funny. It was already repaired once so it's the second time it broke in the same spot. They went with buying a new one. The purchaser took the old one off his hands and is looking to fix it at some point in the future.

If it broke in the same spot then it wasn't repaired well in the first place. It sounds like it's going to end well for him anyway. Still, you hate to see a guitar get damaged.

Last week, the new guitarist in our band leaned the 1969 Les Paul that he's owned for 35 years against the bass player's half stack while we were packing up. The cabinet was on wheels and was taller than the guitar so there's now way the bass player would see it.

I might've over reacted a little bit but I don't think he'll do that again!

bjorn218 said:
Now that the headstock is broken and once repaired it will be a true Gibson now. :lol: This is something I was always told when I was younger. A Gibson isn't a Gibson until the headstock has been broken off and repaired.

I have a 1959 Gibson ES-225TD that has never been broken. I have to admit that I'm terrified that it will happen on my watch!

My Gibson SG did a face plant from it's guitar stand a few months ago and now has a crack on the back of the headstock. Very depressing :cry:
I'm in the process of finding a trusted luthier to make the repair.

Riff, not sure if you've found someone to fix your SG yet, but noticed you're in St. Paul and I would suggest Madison's up in Coon Rapids. They're fantastic and just helped me clean up my 1960 telecaster. Great service and they really know what they're doing with guitars and amps!

People need to take responsibility for their animals...

It is crazy to see a person attempting to drive with. Huge dog bouncing around. Or some chic that thinks she is cute with her dog on her lap driving... Or using the neighbors yard as a place to take a dump.

Singers and uncontrolled dog in one thread...

:evil:

And damaging a great guitar....

There would be bloodshed.

When I had only been playing a few years, a good friend came over and we jammed/recorded most of the night. Various substances were ingested, and somewhere near dawn, he tripped over the guitar cord in my Gibson V and knocked it over backwards. :shock: I didn't notice until I tried to play it and the action was suddenly 1/2 inch above the fretboard since the set neck have moved. That wasn't a cheap repair bill. :x But he covered half. I could have been an azz and tried to make him pay for the entire bill, but I had left it in a somewhat careless position considering intoxicated people were stumbling about, and neither of us had much money at the time. Regardless, lesson learned....

Latest posts

Back