Taking breaks from playing your guitar

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surferdeac

Reaction score
I am sure many of you guys out there can relate to this. Some people may argue that taking breaks is never in their vocabulary, but sometimes I think it just happens even for accomplished musicians as well as passionate guitar players. people can get caught up in trying to make ends meet or get tangled and or are in relationships that demand so much of their time whether it be family/work/kids etc.. I guess i just bring it up because i know I love to play and I haven't been playing/recording/composing as much as I usually do.
Thats not to say I am taking breaks from LISTENING to and being emotionally moved by music :D Thats all I do when i have alone time. I think thats just as important as actually playing.

Don't get down on yourself for taking breaks from playing your guitar. You can continue to inspired just by being a listener, and losing yourself for a time in what you hear 8)

I play my guitars more than I mastur ... and if you know the frequency I mastur ... you could imagine how much time I play the guitar. :lol:

Seriously, if you have been constantly playing the guitars for ages, reflex, muscle memory etc ... are all there so getting back playing again is easy. It just those who quit off and on frequently never get their muscle memory conditioned.

My early bands' members in my teens say, 30+ years ago, some of the members wanted to get back into it again. So I hear them, and they play like they are beginners again. They claimed they've been playing since but admitted off and on. They did not play consistent enough to what I called "conditioned".

But you are way way pass this. The above paragraph are tips for beginners. Keep playing the guitar.

One of my buddy would attempt to copy a particular guitar lead and can't figure out one passage -- this is before YouTube -- He would be frustrated. Sometimes he would not touch the guitar for a couple of months. Then one day he plays again, then again tries to figure out that passage, and he gets it this time around. So take a break works for him.

I think if you have been playing long enough, breaks are fine.

For most people, breaks are inevitable. Life happens.

I have found that I go through stages:
1. Technical pursuit. I will play and study meticulously for 6 months to a year. Generally not in a band, or in a band that never seems to get together.
2. New band. Learn a lot of new songs. Write, rehearse, gig. Maybe 1-5 years. Sporadic returns to technical pursuit during this time.
3. Band loses traction. Play less frequently, more noodling than serious playing. Burnout.
4. Break. Generally 6 months to a year. I don't quit, but maybe play 1-2 times a week, largely unfocused.
Rinse and repeat.

In looking at other players, I see young players (like Mark Tremonti) who can't seem to sit down. They write, play in 2-3 bands, never stop touring and recording. It's good to be young. As players age they start to take breaks between touring and recording. These breaks can get pretty long if they are successful enough to afford it. I'm pretty sure they don't play much when they're on extended vacations to Europe or the Caribbean with their families.

When I start again after a break, I usually have a very fresh perspective on playing. I've found 2 or 3 new heroes, and have changed all my equipment. Things that I struggled with previously are often remarkably easy to play or perfect. I've forgotten some of my cliches. I mature as a player and continue to be more musical. This last cycle for me was about 5 years. I am a 200% better player after this cycle, and finally, after 30 years of playing, have a real connection with the instrument and can pretty much pick it up any time and wow myself. I am in a break right now, but feel a new cycle coming on. I can't wait to see how I'll change.

RR said:
I play my guitars more than I mastur ... and if you know the frequency I mastur ... you could imagine how much time I play the guitar. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Honestly the reason i Haven't been playing much is because i got in this new relationship :lol:
she is a great girl don't get me wrong. I really care about her. I do carpentry work by profession, and after work i find myself helping her on her family compound/half farm helping her take care of her livestock (goats chickens ducks sheep etc.) which i do enjoy, BUT it takes away from my Guitar PLAYING time.
I live in a Cottage by myself, and its basically set up for playing music. She doesn't really like spending time at my place because her dog Is CRAZY and it CHeWS on everything including my music Gear and I FREAK OUT. ITs hard to be in a relationship where you have your own place and the person your seeing has their own place and they want you to spend all of your time at their place and not hang out at your place :lol:

I could go on and on but i will save it for another time - I am gonna eat some hot wings and have another beer, and then maybe play some guitar
:D

reminds me of some sage advice I read yrs ago from Mr.Eric Clapton-he explained how he made himself take breaks because it made him a little rusty..made him really have to dig in harder,fight the instrument a wee bit...in doing so, he said it forced him to think and play differently-
=if all you obsess about is technique, this might not be sage advice...but for those of us who are interested in "hittin' the note", it can be a refreshing avenue..sort of makes one break things down...simplify
YMMV 8)

I'm currently taking a short break from guitar to bring my cello playing back. Playing cello is extremely demanding and the muscles need plenty of rest to re-develop. Once I have my conditioning back, I can start practicing guitar again.

Surfer,

#1: Try helping her train her dog. It's not difficult, and all 3 of you will be happier. No dog should be uncontrolled, and it sounds like that is hurting your relationship. If you don't know how, you could take a class together, which might be a nice way to spend time with your GF. The poor dog is probably chewing because it's uncomfortable. Some crate-training, with a crate in your cottage might go a long way toward making the dog more comfortable, and good behavior requires comfort. Yes, I'm preachy. I've done a lot of dog rescue work.

#2: Keep a guitar at her place. if she wants you to be there often, she could make room for you. I have a guitar at my GF's. If the guitar is seen as a rival, you may want to think about what that means for your compatibility. I know my GF is supportive of my playing, but I wonder how she will handle hours of high-volume. Haven't crossed that bridge yet.

YJ, have you learned MOP on cello yet?

Interesting question.

Being older, I have had. Few life events that put music aside.

I quit the best band I was ever in, played lead, to get serious with night school and get my degree. I ended up getting clean and sober as well. I took off about 3 years from playing, old friends, and old places I used to go. Finished college and got a good new job, started grad school.

Now I am a professional hobbyist player. My wife loves music and likes me to play for her, has bought me amps. We have a large family room that has 6 amps in there. Now I play a bit every day, play in a few jam session type groups, working on one bnd project.

Music is a huge part of my life now. Play at least an hour daily. Take lessons when I don't mind driving into downtown Atlanta. Learning something new keeps it interesting. Jamming with others is cool to learn new ideas.

I go from Metallica to Dire Straits, learning some Brad Paisley but that stuff is way hard....

Music is an endless river full of twists and turns. Get on the bank when you tire of rowing for a while.

elvis said:
Really? Waste of time. Those are sooooo 1700's...

HA! :lol:

In some ways it would be kind of cool if Electric Guitar had the weight of 300 years of technical development and innovation but the instrument has not had that sort of lifespan to be refined to that degree. Master of Puppets isn't so hard to manage on a cello while Bach and Popper is. If I want to grow my technique, I need to challenge myself and this is the best way.

(Consider how many guitar shredders advocate transcribing classical music to grow their technique)

I took a so serious break for about 5 years. diddled on an acoustic but didn't even own an electric, sold them all. Just totally burned out on music (Bands and BS)

The only time I took a break from the guitar was when I was taking a break from myself - during a pathetic time of self-indulgence. As I began regaining my identity, I got back into the guitar. That was four years of my life that I'd rather forget...actually, I have no choice but to forget because I can't remember too much from that time.

Other than my little departure from reality, I haven't taken any long breaks from the guitar. I may take a break for a day or two, but I don't stay away from the guitar for too long.

Latest posts

Back