Blues music suggestions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OamrG

Reaction score
All righty, guys and gals. As per the title, what are your recommendations for blues artists? I'm looking to expand my collections and learn a few things, so I'd love some suggestions for music to check out. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, everyone!

Are talking old stuff?
BB King "Live at the Regal" (classic)
Albert King
Howlin' Wolf
Buddy Guy "Buddys Baddest" (hits)
Junior Wells
Robert Johnson (really old stuff)

British Blues?
John Mayhall-Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton (classic)
Gary Moore
Savoy Brown
Fleetwood Mac (Peter Green era stuff)

Just the tip of the iceberg
Lots of great modern guys too!
Have fun!!!!

New stuff:
Anson Funderburgh
Little Mike & the Tornadoes
Johnny Mastro & Mama's Boys
Robert Cray
Keb Mo

Here are some newer guys too.

Smokin' Joe Kubec
Eric Gales
Eric Sardinas
Joe Bonamassa
Luther Allison

All of these guys flat out SMOKE!

Awesome. Thanks, guys. I'm looking for new stuff to play along to and fiddle with, so I'm sure most of this will help, but keep 'em coming!

I agree, JB
...I will throw in a cajun blues artist that few here have heard of, I bet-Mr Tab Benoit(Ben-wah)
check out "Standin on the Banks"..shewwwwwweeeee!!!!moonshine,shotguns,crawfish....big legged cajun queens...its all in there somewhere
think I will do a little drinkin' later and post a plenty :)

JOEY B. said:
How is it that nobody has mentioned Billy Gibbons???????

The first four ZZ-Top albums are chocked full of blues/rock playing. MTV ruined that band, IMHO. :(

And there is this guy named "James Marshall Hendrix". :shock: And someone else named Duane Allman. 8)

Allman Brother's at Filmore East!

Warren Haynes, Derek Trucks ...

JOEY B. said:
JOEY B. said:
How is it that nobody has mentioned Billy Gibbons???????

The first four ZZ-Top albums are chocked full of blues/rock playing. MTV ruined that band, IMHO. :(

And there is this guy named "James Marshall Hendrix". :shock: And someone else named Duane Allman. 8)
That guy[?] I think I know why you are talking about ... he was traitor. From Seattle and goes to England. What's up with that?

Then he plays at Max Yasgur's Farm, in upper New York State the Summer of August in '69, oh I don't know the name of that concert.

Burns his Strat at Monterey Pop Festival.

Does he used to wear embroidery jackets and Spanish hats?

****, really hard to beat that JMH guy...
ok, here is another gem-how about that Johnny Winter??an albino playing the black man's blues/-thats about as blue as you can get
oooh..Rory Gallagher....
and for blues rock, gotta throw it to Paul Kossoff...all right,now!?!

Oh hell yeah! Gibbons, Johny Winter, Paul Kossoff and Hendrix lots of greats!

I've been thinking some more because I like this thread.
I think that there was this guy named Stevie Ray Vaughn. I think he may have been an influential blues guitarist.
I'll check on that. :?
:idea: Yep, it's true :shock:

Riff Blister said:
... I think that there was this guy named Stevie Ray Vaughn. I think he may have been an influential blues guitarist.
I'll check on that. :?
Never hear of him. :lol:

I don't think we over-looked him, I think it was a given everyone knows him.

I hate to say, my opinion -- probably going to get flame for this -- "after SRV" these 'newer' so-called blues guitarists straps on a Strat, to me seems like they tried to be the next SVR. Yes there's exception. But ... :cry:

Riff Blister, I guess we're in the same demographics with your lists and responses. :wink:

I agree with all the other suggestions and will add some other older ones.

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Elvin Bishop
Freddie King!!! (For some reason the other "Kings" get mentioned more than Freddie but he's one you don't want to miss)
Mike Bloomfield
Roy Buchanan
Alvin Lee (Ten Years After)

Not a blues person per se but listen to Boz Scaggs version of "Loan Me A Dime" - Duane "Sky Dog" Allman is playing on that one too. Great cut!!

Even older:
John Lee Hooker
Lightnin' Hopkins
Sonny Boy Williamson

Some of the women of the Blues
Bonnie Raitt - might not think of her as Blues but she is, and she can play a pretty mean Blues slide too.
Rory Block
Janis Joplin - sings the blues ;-)
Susan Tedeschi

There are still many, many, many more.....

Best to advice I was ever given:
"Learn to play along with the Blues especially slow blues."
and the reason why
"Blues is the foundation of all Rock n' Roll and Jazz."

So OamrG you're on the right track!

Check out Magic Sam for some fun music and cool guitar playing!

I've been listening to a lot of Jimmie Vaughan for the past 30 years!

The Janis Joplin suggestion was fantastic. If we are on the girls and going back a bit you have to mention Billy Holiday. that girl paid her dues and probably had the marks to prove it.

Also for a different style of blues check out Miles Davis "Spoonful" on the Gil Evans "Sketches of Spain" CD.

There will be many different opinions about where to start.

My favourite older list has

Robert Johnson (finger style has never been done better)
Lightning Hopkins (for the minimalist stuff)
and Elmore James
-------
Moving on to the 60s
Hendrix
Eric Clapton (Disraeli Gears, Howling Wolf Sessions, Layla) are 3 absolutely must have blues records
Duane Allman
There are a zillion others including John Winter doing Johnny B Goode (most played song when I was at school)
----
Then there are the jazzy guys. Larry Carlton when he is trying has as good a tone and technique as any of them.

aside the classic names already mentioned (plus the 3 Kings and Buddy Guy) you cant go wrong with Kenny Wayne Sheperd and Jonny Lang.

oh yes and there's Rory Gallagher.

Kelly Ritchie, Papa Chubbie, Catfish Keith, Michelle Mallone, Ronnie Earl and Duke robillard.

rfrakes said:
Kelly Ritchie, Papa Chubbie, Catfish Keith, Michelle Mallone, Ronnie Earl and Duke robillard.

+1 For Ronnie Earl. I was reading the thread and wondering when anyone was going to mention him.

Back