Lindsey Vonn wins fourth overall title

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo

Reaction score
Lindsey Vonn wins fourth overall title

oly_a_vonnl_576.jpg

ARE, Sweden -- Lindsey Vonn became the first American to clinch four overall World Cup titles Friday by winning a giant slalom race, moving into second on the all-time list behind Austrian great Annemarie Moser-Proell.

Vonn took the lead after the first run and finished in 2 minutes, 28.0 seconds. Federica Brignone of Italy was second, 0.48 behind, followed by Olympic champion Viktora Rebensburg of Germany.

Vonn was tied with Phil Mahre of the United States with three overall World Cup titles. Moser-Proell won six overall titles in the 1970s, and Luxemburg's Marc Girardelli has five.

Vonn has 1,808 points for the season and, with five World Cup races remaining, looks set to achieve her goal of become the first woman to surpass 2,000 points. In 2006, Kostelic set the overall points record for women, amassing 1,970 points to claim the crystal globe.

"Anything is possible, but it's going to be really difficult," Vonn said. "I'm going to have to execute in every race and seize the opportunity like I did today.

Vonn won her 52nd World Cup race with only her second victory in giant slalom. She won the season's opening giant slalom in Soelden in October to become the fifth woman to win a World Cup race in all five disciplines.

Vonn is third on the all-time list for World Cup wins behind Moser-Proell (62) and Schneider (55).

video
http://www.redbullusa.com/cs/Satellite/en_US/Video/lindsey-vonn-downhill-fast-021243139195659
training for slalom event at 1,000 frames per second. Using a high-speed Phantom camera during her 2011 pre-season training, this clip was shot in New Zealand at Coronet Peak.

she just won the last downhill of the season.

The American champion – who also already secured the ladies overall Cup title – crossed the finish line of the 2013 world championships course in 1 minute, 46.56 seconds, leaving everyone more than a second behind her except for Marion Rolland of France, who earned her first career World Cup podium in second place, 0.92 seconds back. Tina Maze made her only downhill podium of the season in third, 1.22 seconds back.

For Vonn, however, the work is never done. Notching 12 wins this season – breaking her 2009 record of 11 – securing her fourth overall title (the only American skier to ever do so) and earning her fifth straight downhill title is quite a feat but Vonn has another goal to reach. She is now up to 1908 points in the overall standings.

“I’m really trying hard to break Hermann Maier’s record,” referring to the Austrian icon who holds the World Cup’s season point record of 2,000 points. “I only have three races left this season. It was a huge step today.”

now you know even more!

Back