Opinions on Nofx's guitarists?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OamrG

Reaction score
I'm not too sure if many of the people on this board listen to Nofx, but I'm sure we've all heard of them. I suppose my question here is what people think of the musicianship of Melvin and Hefe? Personally, I think they're pretty darn crafty, and they have a really tight sound and style. What do you all think, and who are your guitarists of interest and inspiration?

These guys are funny because they actually play punk rock with some semblance of skill / technical accomplishment. They play a lot of chords and interesting octave voicings, for a four chord punk band.

And hey, they wrote an 18 minute punk epic.

Oh, fat mike can't sing.

Melvin is a great punk rock rhythm guitarist. Solid player, good tone.

Hefe is a flat-out great musician. He could play any style of music he wanted, convincingly. It's not coincidence that NOFX's music got better, deeper (musically) and more versatile and ambitious after he joined. Plus he's a Mark III guy like me. :D

I think Fat Mike can sing. I actually think a big part of their unique sound is Mike's vocal melodies. He's an interesting guy, considering he's all punk rock but listens to show tunes, Madonna, and weird stuff like that. That's off topic though haha.

As for Hefe and Melvin, I don't know. It's sort of really weird that they pair so well. I can't say I've seen a duo of guitarists that complement each other's tone and style as well as they do. I've heard them do the dirtiest things on guitars as well as some of the tightest, cleanest guitar riffs I've ever heard. It's baffling, really.

Fat Mike sings just fine these days. He's still snotty and nasal, but hey, it's punk rock. His pitch is good and he's strong. He used to be awful, though. He was pretty bad through about Ribbed.

I got over the Ryan Greene/Motor Studios production values about ten years ago: clicky drums, clanky bass guitar, everything compressed to hell. But NOFX are still killer musicians, and they sound fantastic live.

They cook. They absolutely cook. Melvin's rhythm is so solid, and he changes up the strum patters enough that you dont get bored. Melvin is doing riffs all the metal dudes wish they could play, but are too proud cuz its labeled punk rock. Hefe is unbelievably good. all around good player could hang with all the "greats", And lets talk tone. Compressed rhythm with searing lead overtop of it. I love the sound and think it was a unique guitar tone when it 1st came out, Innovative. Anyone listened to "self entitled" i thought it blew coaster outta the water. !

Latest posts

Back