What should I wear to look like a muso?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozboy

Reaction score
I'm an investment bank analyst during the day. Last of a dying breed. And an old one at that.

But for rehearsals and, heaven forbid, gigs, I need to look like a muso. What should I wear?

I saw a romanian orchestra/band the other night and their guitarist had rings, shiny boots and belt, tight black pants and a waist coat with some bowler kind of red hat.

I'm on the taller side, about 1.8 metres so I'm not sure if the hat is the go, on the other hand you can't show up with a business school hair cut.

Also needs to be fairly readily available. Given my age does anyone know of some shops that specialse in hippy style clothes? I am thinking velvets and feathers and stuff.

Suggestions please.

What is a muso? I've seen the word used around before but never knew what it's meaning is. From an online dictionary:

muso (?mju?z??)

— n , pl musos
1. derogatory ( Brit ) a musician, esp a pop musician, regarded as being overconcerned with technique rather than musical content or expression
2. ( Austral ) any musician, esp a professional one

In my genre jeans and T-Shirt do the job. Now that I think of it, I've never worn anything but jeans and a T-Shirt when I held a guitar, so to me it's a no-brainer.

If you play music and the genre/band "demands" a certain dress style just look up some artist that play similar stuff and see what they usually wear. If not, just wear normal everyday clothes... did Pink Floyd ever dress to impress? Deep Purple? Nope...

Or do what some have mentioned, dress like you were at work... saying "I'm so cool music to me is just grabbing the guitar and rockin' it!!!" :mrgreen:

Guess I used the wrong title. Should have said what should I wear on stage. And it is a stage and its partly performance art.

Being as old as I am. I am thinking some kind of "artful dodger" hat and a velvet coat just to start with.

The more thought you put into it the more forced and "wannabe" it might look. Just wear something and let the music do the talking/take care of the show.

Except if you play black metal where corpsepaint and black spiky stuff is pretty much obligatory :D

Back