Been a LONG time! Finally the ROCKS has come BACK to MESA!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisRocksUSA

Reaction score
:lol:

I had a dual rectumfrier in college but had to get rid of it afterward b/c I can't get away with playing it in my apartment now. Haven't had a decent amp for 3-4 years now, decided to change that today.

went to the music shop hoping that they had a mini recto (ideal for me right meow). They didn't, but I got to sit down with a Mark V, and fell in LOVE :shock:

It's really not in my budget, but I'm pretty tempted to snag that bad boy. The mini recto won't be in the shop until march or so, but if I want to order it they will order one for me. I hope I end up just ordering the **** thing (after all, I did buy my dual recto without hearing it as well) otherwise I'm going to end up dropping the $ on that Mark 8)

Been too long, missed it here. Glad I remembered my PW, gonna be creeping the boogie classifieds too lol.

Chris, I answered your question here: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=57739&start=15

The Mini Recto is definitely a Recto but it is its own flavour. If you try one, you'll understand completely what I mean. The Mark Vs are awesome but they have their own voice and that voice is different than this one.

Here is a comparison between the two, thanks DON at Haggertys for this demo!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXY53F03-lk

Basically, you have a recto preamp while the el84 power section imparts its own unique spices on that tried and true tone. The video will showcase completely what these two amps do and how similar it is. It will also show you what has changed. Basically, with the mini you have slightly more mids, a bit more upper mid bite, and a bit less lows. The crunch is also spiced by EL84s which adds this frantic chihuahua-esque crunch to the tone. Definitely really fun little amps to play!! To sweeten the deal, the matching 1 x 12s look like mini 4 x 12s. You can have a mini halfstack (or stack) in your bedroom. Talk about RAD!

I just caught that. You've been really helpful, I def appreciate it.

I like that guy's videos, but I can't really judge the amp based off of it b/c whenever Don plays the dual rec he's not really getting the tone out of it that I remember/know/love.

ultimately I just need to find a mini rec and sit down with it, but my options are limited at this time. I'd have to just order it without hearing (which I did with my dual back in college, but by then the DR was tried and true. I knew I was going to love it).

Like I said in the other thread I'm going to check out a single rec on sat, we'll see what happens.

Ha. The Mini Recto will do low volume tones better than the Single. Trust me, it is a great amp. The purpose of the comparison vid is so that you can hear the 'difference' in tone between the two heads. Believe me, it is fairly representative. When I was playing in a band, having a Recto halfstack was a blast. I could get some volume out of it and it sounded awesome. When things moved on and I couldn't use it for that anymore, I found myself very frustrated by the anemic fizzy low volume tone. I could never get that 'sound' I knew the amp was capable of without the volume that came with it. I've pretty much been bashing my head against a wall since then. I keep my Dual because I'm rather attached to it, it sounds awesome, and I really don't feel like dealing with selling it used.

I own a Dual already but if I was shopping right now and I didn't have one, I'd get the mini instead. It is a very appropriate solution for a bedroom guitarist or someone who jams occasionally. Take that as you will.

I ended up getting the ROV today. I need that fat 6l6 recto tone in my life lol. thanks for all the help, man!

I hear you, I have an old 2 channel Dual which I love. The problem is that the volume is beginning to cause me substantial irritation. Owning a Recto and an Electra Dyne is volume overload.

Back