Ed Roman passes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The article wasn't available when I clicked on the link, but that's too bad. Back in '91-92 when I was guitar shopping I read an article (don't remember where) where Ed was singing the praises of Paul Reed Smith. Of course a lot of people were. He definitely had some influence on my purchase. He was also the biggest critic of PRS when they moved out of the Annapolis factory in '95. He wasn't afraid to tell it like he saw it. I don't know about the criticism of post '95 PRS guitars, I used to have a '00 Custom. I did end up selling it, but it was a VERY nice guitar; different from my pre-95 guitars, but still impressive in it's own way. I'd still like to get my hands on one Ed's guitars and see if they are "all that".

Well Ed Roman made some good points but at the same time rubbed many luthiers, guitarists the wrong way.

Can any of use really tell the tone difference between a hand carved top and a CNC machine carved top guitar? He was making a point hand carved top are better.

He called a Les Paul a poorly design guitar claiming the top bout was connect to neck at near the 14 fret never getting good access to the higher frets.

If I recall some of his PRS criticisms:
- called after '94 PRS heel from hell
- when Paul Reed Smith realize it was pennies to the dollar using a CNC machine instead of luthiers to carve the top. But since now producing a PRS guitar is much cheaper, these savings weren't handed down to their customers.
- Ed Roman claimed Paul Reed Smith claims when he runs out of Brazilian Rosewood (for his fingerboard) he'll close up shop. He will never use Indian Rosewood. PRS guitars have Indian rosewood fingerboards.
- What are now "Top-10" were usually standard PRS just the criteria of what is Top-10 is now broader.
- the earlier tremolos made by Mann are better than PRS current supplier.

... there so much other things Ed Roman claimed that were opinions not facts.

But there were valid things he said too. Like poplar is a very underrated tonewood. Just because its plentiful and were used on lower price Fenders, like Basswood, its a fine tonewood. Many luthiers will support this.

RIP Ed Roman

Back