Musical Schizophrenia ;-)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gts

Reaction score
Looking over the shoulder of the guy who lost his
Looking over the shoulder of the guy who lost his apples
Man, I am all over the place when it comes to stuff I like and listen too.

Older mixes will include bands like:
Brand X, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Herbie Hancock, Marchall Tucker, Black Sabbath, Jeff Beck/Jan Hammer, BS&T, Be Bop Deluxe, Allman Bros, Al DiMeola, Skynyrd, various Motown, Soul, and R&B bands too, and on and on.....

Not only listening but I like playing a wide variety too.

Are you all more focused or all over the place too?

we age like wine...
my listening was more "focused" as a younster..but I branched out once I started playing...and never underestimate the influence of the older siblings(if you have them)
I am all over the place,especially as I have aged-if its got interesting guitar work, I am there
also, once you get a firm grip on a particular genre, you may want to pursue other styles...thats when the real learning can take place,grasshoppas :)

I'm like that too. My tastes in music has been wide open as long as I can remember. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hmmm..Brand X...Be Bop Deluxe Not too many people I know can talk about those guys. I love that stuff.

BrandX.jpg

Great album covers too!

Be Bop Delux. Love that Axe Victim's album. What's that song? No Trains to Heaven.

1274982498_brendx.jpg

Riff Blister said:
I'm like that too. My tastes in music has been wide open as long as I can remember. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Hmmm..Brand X...Be Bop Deluxe Not too many people I know can talk about those guys. I love that stuff.

Yup, love both those bands that sort of style/ genre and have for years (along with everything else).
Lot of great players were with Brand X. I really like Goodsall's playing.
When I first "discovered" them it was interesting to see a long haired, bearded Phil Collins was on drums....
Makes one realize the guy is/ was quite a player once upon a time. (In fact I think he was a "co founder" of Brand X)
Not to discount his early Genesis years - but his work with Brand X, you'd never know it was the same guy by just listening.

I have been all over the place as long as I can remember too. Definitely from my teenage years on.....
I have set up various "stations" on Pandora and more often than not have a "Quickmix" playing.

I'm mainly into rock n' roll a la Zep, Who, AC/DC and metal (any era), anything except power metal and a little bit of black/death thrown in between the mostly thrash and oldschool 80s/90s stuff I listen to. The "gray areas" included (Motörhead etc.). Instrumental rock is also something I enjoy very much (Andy Timmons, Satch).

I like to sway into other territories, gypsy jazz a la Django Reinhardt, Latcho Drom etc., some pop stuff is somewhat appealing, oldschool rap can also be found on my iPod (Tupac and early Eminem) hell I even listen to minimal house from time to time (deadmau5). But that means I'll have maybe 1-2 songs from some genres or an album or so of jazz/blues whereas the aforementioned rock/metal I have whole discographies.

I'm only 18 though so god knows what I'll be listening to in 20 years :D

By day: I play metal.

Any other time: I listen to The Platters, Ray Charles, Led Zeppelin, Al di, Floyd, Parlaiment...everything. Also, especially classical (I dunno about you guys, but I was classically trained first.) Stravinsky, Orff, Holst, Mozart, Vivaldi, Ravel, Nelhybel, Ligeti, most Beethoven...

If it's good music it's good. Never a bad time for awesome music, whether it warms the heart, soul, and mind...or challenges it.

SonicProvocateur said:
If it's good music it's good. Never a bad time for awesome music, whether it warms the heart, soul, and mind...or challenges it.

Great sentence. My kind of philosophy.

gts said:
Man, I am all over the place when it comes to stuff I like and listen too.

Older mixes will include bands like:
Brand X, The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Herbie Hancock, Marchall Tucker, Black Sabbath, Jeff Beck/Jan Hammer, BS&T, Be Bop Deluxe, Allman Bros, Al DiMeola, Skynyrd, various Motown, Soul, and R&B bands too, and on and on.....

Not only listening but I like playing a wide variety too.

Are you all more focused or all over the place too?

I am probably worse / more scattered than this. I mean I 'almost' specialize in a different selection of styles on each instrument I play. It is really weird.

At any rate, I think it is highly profitable as a musician to have a diverse pallete.

SonicProvocateur said:
By day: I play metal.

Any other time: I listen to The Platters, Ray Charles, Led Zeppelin, Al di, Floyd, Parlaiment...everything. Also, especially classical (I dunno about you guys, but I was classically trained first.) Stravinsky, Orff, Holst, Mozart, Vivaldi, Ravel, Nelhybel, Ligeti, most Beethoven...

Yes, me too. First trained as a classical pianist and I am also 'trained' as a classical cellist and foremost I am highly educated as a 'classical composer'.

Exactly.

Jackie said:
I'm only 18 though so god knows what I'll be listening to in 20 years :D

Some of that same stuff will appeal to you, some of it will disgust you 20 years from now. Many of the songs that I played in bands during the 1980's make me wretch, nowdays. :evil:
Times will change, and so will your tastes. One constant in my tastes is good guitar, and great bass players. It can be rock, metal, blues, jazz, funk.......... , it all works for me. One day it's DIo, the next it's Stevie Wonder, the next it's Gov't Mule. No limits, except for this new bullshit that's called "Crossover Country". That is an oxy-moron, like "rocking out" to a "WHAM" song. You gotta know when to "hold 'em" and know when to "fold 'em". :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I have a diverse taste in music.

I started playing guitar in the early 70's influence what is now Classic Rock (I think but definition is wider now). Got into 80ish style rock, neo-classic (Satriani, Vai, Morse etc ...), then alternative. Didn't get into playing heavier metal stuff, nothing pass Metallica although I listen to some heavy metal.

What am playing now? Pop 70s, 80's, 90's. I guess my chord progressive evolve a lot since. ( lol )

JOEY B. said:
"Crossover Country"

It's funny you mention that. My niece is a country artist (growing here in 'Bama through the Nashville scene) and she's been opening for big acts and using some musicians that have worked and written for the biggest stars in country and while we always talk about it; I keep talking about how what I call "new country" has probably the best rock and roll sounds out there - I just can't stand the vocals (just like she can't stand my band's vocals :lol: ) But still. I think it's funny you mention that, Joey. CMT is filming a TV show right now about her, and I decided to watch some CMT just to see what's been up and couldn't help but think "man...I hear 10x more rock and roll on this channel than on VH1!". To me, it's like they got the best rock writers from everywhere and paired them with the most yokel singers they could find at Wal-Mart. Country has made a strange swing, that frankly I just can't get into. When the cameras come around, I dunno if I should start chickin or sweep picking!

Gentle Giant
Brand X
Early Yes, not the 80s crap
Be Bop Deluxe
All and anything...hey I even love Classical such as Hayden, Wagner etc.

SonicProvocateur said:
JOEY B. said:
"Crossover Country"

It's funny you mention that. My niece is a country artist (growing here in 'Bama through the Nashville scene) and she's been opening for big acts and using some musicians that have worked and written for the biggest stars in country and while we always talk about it; I keep talking about how what I call "new country" has probably the best rock and roll sounds out there - I just can't stand the vocals (just like she can't stand my band's vocals :lol: ) But still. I think it's funny you mention that, Joey. CMT is filming a TV show right now about her, and I decided to watch some CMT just to see what's been up and couldn't help but think "man...I hear 10x more rock and roll on this channel than on VH1!". To me, it's like they got the best rock writers from everywhere and paired them with the most yokel singers they could find at Wal-Mart. Country has made a strange swing, that frankly I just can't get into. When the cameras come around, I dunno if I should start chickin or sweep picking!
my apologies for getting off topic, but I have been right in the middle of it!JB knows that I have gigged with a particular"up and coming" crossover cuntree cat inbetween Huntsville and Nashvegas-its all "cookie cutter" and demographics and dollar signs-take bon jovi,for ex.....made buttloads of $$ lately because of the "crossover" demographics-the children of the original MTV found VH-1 to be more to their liking as they grew older...now this has become the new CMT-...complete with cookie cutter looks,etc-
its all pop, and its all about that dirty dollar-its all in the packaging....I played lead for a couple of Tootsie's "young Guns" a few yrs ago downtown Nashvegas-everyone there but me looked like they fell off of the same Wrangler truck
-shoot me if I ever do that again

lesterpaul said:
its all pop, and its all about that dirty dollar-its all in the packaging....I played lead for a couple of Tootsie's "young Guns" a few yrs ago downtown Nashvegas-everyone there but me looked like they fell off of the same Wrangler truck
-shoot me if I ever do that again

Nashville is the modern day "1980's Los Angeles", exploitation at its finest. I have nothing but respect for the "old time" country and bluegrass players, FWIW. This Crossover Country garbage makes me gag almost as bad as the Metal/Rap horseshit. Pick one style and go with it, PLEASE!!!!!

JOEY B. said:
Nashville is the modern day "1980's Los Angeles", exploitation at its finest. I have nothing but respect for the "old time" country and bluegrass players.

I was going to say the exact same thing. Frank Zappa wrote the song "Tinseltown Rebellion" which sums it up pretty well.
Check it out if you have the time. :)

From Madam Wong's to Starwood
To the Whiskey on the strip
You can hear the crashing, blasting strum
Of bands that come to be real hip
And get a record contract
From a talent scout someday
They'll sell their ***, their cocks and balls
They'll take the check 'n' walk away
If they're lucky they'll get famous
For a week or two perhaps
They'll buy some ugly clothes to wear
And hope the business don't collapse
Before some stupid magazine
Decides they're really good
They're a Tinsel Town Rebellion Band
From downtown Hollywood
Tinsel Town Rebellion,
Tinsel Town Rebellion Band
It's a little bitty Tinsel Town Rebellion
A Tinsel Town Rebellion Band
They used to play all kinds of stuff
And some of it was nice
Some of it was musical
But then they took some guy's advice
To get a record deal, he said
They would have to be more punk
Forget their chops and play real dumb
Or else they would be sunk
So off they go to S.I.R. to learn some stupid riffs
And practice all their poses
In between their powder sniffs
Chop up a line now, snort it up now
And when they think they've got it
They launch a new career
Who gives a **** if what they play
Is somewhat insincere
Tinsel Town Rebellion,
Tinsel Town Rebellion Band
A Tinsel Town Rebellion
A Tinsel Town Rebellion Band
Did you know that in Tinsel Town the people there
Think substance is a bore
And if your New Wave group looks good
They'll hurry on back for more
Of leather groups and plastic groups
And groups that look real queer
The Tinsel Town aficionados
Come to see and not to hear
But then again this system works
As perfect as a dream
It works for all those record company pricks
Who come to skim the cream
From the cesspools of excitement
Where Jim Morrison once stood
It's the Tinsel Town Rebellion
From downtown Hollywood

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
I'll give it right back to ya one of these days.
Riff :)

JOEY B. said:
Nashville is the modern day "1980's Los Angeles", exploitation at its finest. I have nothing but respect for the "old time" country and bluegrass players, FWIW. This Crossover Country garbage makes me gag almost as bad as the Metal/Rap horseshit. Pick one style and go with it, PLEASE!!!!!

In all fairness, Little Richard style Rock 'n' Roll resulted as a 'crossover' between country and blues. I have no problem with genre blending since this is how new sounds are created. When it works right it is awesome, when it doesn't it drives people crazy.

The Tinsel Town aficionados
Come to see and not to hear

Sadly this is true of too many people and places.
If you look "cool" (whatever "cool" is for any particular that genre) is all that matters to too many people everywhere (even here!)
In fact if you "look" a certain way but, like music in other genre's, the core of people in the genre for how you "look" often times will look down on you, give you ****.
They may even claim/ say you are a sell out for liking other musical genres and/ or ask 'what's wrong with you'.

What I think is a step away from "looking a certain way"/ "having a certain appearance" is the old "early years" of the hippy generation.
Just look at some pics. Not everyone has tie dye or long hair etc. In fact many don't.
Back then is seems many just dug what was going on with the music without giving a **** about how anybody looked.
I'll say it again.
Checking out pics of the audiences and bands from the "penultimate hippy band" early years of say '66, '67, '68, many are not wearing or looking any particular way. It seems a greater number of people back then were into music for the music.

I get tired of music and bands being nothing more than a stage act.
(And this coming from somebody who liked KISS when they first started in the 70's - but I think they were sincere back then and not just a stage act.
There is a big difference in sincerely being 'off the wall' and/ or 'out there' and just putting on a "show")

Pink Floyd was a t-shirt and jeans band. It's the kind of thing I didn't notice until right now and I pulled out my live at Pompei DVD...

That says so much about their music versus what they wear. Page and Hendrix might have had a flare for style, but I listened to them for a whole decade before I saw the first video of Page in his ascot, or Hendrix wearing tassels and bellbottoms...There is just that connection with the music. Like LP said, the ones who look like they walked off a Durango commercial, I can make a guess. Paul Gilbert - noone would ever know.

Back