Guitar Magazines

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are guitar magazines a thing of the past?

• No, I still read them every month.

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • Yes, I get all of my news, gear reviews, and music online

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters

zilla

Reaction score
Just wondering what the thought is in guitar magazines?

in the early 90s when I was in high school and playing guitar, it was the only way to find out about new models, read interviews, read reviews, etc.

Nowadays, most guitar mags (Guitar World, Premier Guitar, etc) seem to put all of their stuff on youtube before the paper version comes out and you can actually hear product demos, etc.

Thoughts? Are guitar mags (and essentially most magazines) in their death throwes?

I used to have subscriptions to several Guitar mags. These days, the internet has replaced that for me. I was getting guitar player for $12/year, but it didn't feel like the content was worth a buck an issue so I stopped subscribing.

My wife keeps up my subscription to Guitar Player as a gift. Every month when it comes I'm excited to sit down and thumb through it. That being said, I completely understand that the internet has replaced printed media for most people.

still get 'em...no way I'm taking my laptop into the warzone while I'm "building a log cabin", if you catch my drift.....(you know, hatching a few *** snakes....dropping off the kids at the pool...download the brownload...)
-can you get all of the articles online that are printed?this month has a top 100 list of Hendrix songs with some cool commentary from Aledort,Kramer, etc....its like Playboy for me...its not the tab I am interested in anymore, its the articles

lesterpaul said:
still get 'em...no way I'm taking my laptop into the warzone while I'm "building a log cabin", if you catch my drift.....(you know, hatching a few *** snakes....dropping off the kids at the pool...download the brownload...)
-can you get all of the articles online that are printed?this month has a top 100 list of Hendrix songs with some cool commentary from Aledort,Kramer, etc....its like Playboy for me...its not the tab I am interested in anymore, its the articles

Tab :?: :?: :?: :?: , it takes me longer to read the tab, than to learn it by ear. :lol: :lol: :lol:

my problem is that i eagerly look forward to seeing the new issue on the stand every month and by the time i finish thumbing through it all I think is "there's no way that this rag is worth $10" yeah, that's right... $10 ± $1 here in Canada. Most of the reviews have already been posted on youtube.

And their "special" subscription rates don't apply. If they did I might consider a subscription.

I like reading the interviews. I was reading one this morning about Steve Vai and his 10-hour workout. More interesting than the actual workout was his comments on practicing and playing guitar. I've gotten some good insights from the articles. It's fun for me to reread my old mags. I enjoy reading the new mags too - even though I don't know most of the players in them!

Whenever I first got into playing, they were my main resource for lessons and information related to new gear. The prices seemed to creep up and I eventually cancelled my subscriptions. Between forums, Youtube and online tabs, I have no need for them.

talltxguy said:
I like reading the interviews. I was reading one this morning about Steve Vai and his 10-hour workout. More interesting than the actual workout was his comments on practicing and playing guitar. I've gotten some good insights from the articles. It's fun for me to reread my old mags. I enjoy reading the new mags too - even though I don't know most of the players in them!
+1-I had a collection of mags dating back to '84 until the ef-5 blew all my stuff away-a library....I knew certain articles backwards and forwards-a great reference,resource,etc.....gone now

I'm a looong time subscriber to Guitar Player (I have every issue dating back to about late '77.) For the past couple of years I've also subscribed to Premier Guitar.
I enjoy reading, and I especially enjoy reading about music and guitars.

Juan

As a kid just starting to play I used to read them all the time. I still have many of them at my mom's house dating back to the late '70s. Now I'll thumb through one or 2 if I'm at Barnes and Noble while my kids and wife are looking at stuff. I rarely buy them anymore, unless of course Jeff Beck is on the cover. :D

I still try to pick a few up every month.

But now with the iPad, all that is changing. If any of you use an iPad, check out the free issue of Guitarist Deluxe. It's an interactive version of Guitarist and it's absolutely incredible. It's still a magazine but you don't have to pinch and squeeze to zoom in to read the text. There are exclusive videos. The lessons comes with the audio so you can see and hear what they're doing without going to a CD player. All sorts of really cool things) that probably don't sound like much from the way I described it!) Seriously, this kind of format is what magazines will be like very, very soon and I'm really excited about it. It's a whole new experience that takes magazines to a completely new level. Their days might be numbered in print but as far as delivering them digitally, we're just beginning.

Yeah, I still subscribe to "Guitar World" and "Guitar Player". Although I don't enjoy them as much as I used to, it's still cool when they show up in the mail box once a month.
Now days I prefer reading "Classic Rock" magazine out of England.

btw, what ever happened to Guitar for the Practicing Musician? Did they merge with Guitar World?

Latest posts

Back