So, what style(s) of music you play?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Me personally, I like to play a bit of everything, from ZZTop to Slayer to Garth Brooks.

But when doing something my way, I'm a cross between punk (older), sludge, and thrash.

I'm sorta a cross between Dreamtheater and Matteo Carcassi.

Classically trained Prog-rock shredi Genre.

I'm mostly a blue rock type - Cream/Clapton, Zep, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Kiss. and of course Van Halen. But will pretty much play anything.

Ned

Blues, Funk, Classic Rock, Modern Rock, Metal. The band I am getting started now is going to do Modern Rock like Foo Fighters, Velvet Revolver, Green Day, Incubus, etc.
Last band was blues and funk. That was a lot of fun, especially when we had this kick *** keyboard playing with us. I love playing with keys!

Mostly metal with my band.

But I record on my PC and the styles vary depending on the song from Blues to electronica/Industrial type stuff to Rock and Metal.

I like Music I believe a good song is a good song regardless of style.

I'm not a pro, so what I play depends on my mood on any given day. About the only music I don't play is jazz.

I like rock - from Scotty Moore and Buddy Holly to Beatles to Cream to Led Zeppelin to Free to Rush to Boston to Judas Priest to Metallica.... But it stops before hitting Nirvana (Seattle should be nuked!) Then only recent stuff I like is Gov't Mule, Green Day, The Donnas, The Darkness, and thank God for Los Lonely Boys! Henry Garza inspires me to grab the Strat again.

I like blues - the 3 Kings, Buddy Guy, Otis Rush, Stevie Ray... but I'll never master that style.

I play pretty convincing C&W on acoustic, but I can't make a twang to save my life. (Hey hun, can I buy a Tele this year?)

Im strictly a "Praise and Worship" player.....I did rock in all its forms, playing mostly bass, from the early 60's till the mid 80's, then the booze and drugs got the best of me, and I quit playing altogether.....I got sober 11 years ago and started playing six string acoustic in church....someone asked about putting a praise team together, so now thats what I do....Im not great by anymeans, but I sure am enjoying myself more than anyother time...

I did the folk acoustic music in church for 11 years. It was great for my soul, and all that acoustic playing in a drumless format really did wonders for my sense of rhythm and timing. Alas, I got burned out on it at the end of 2003.

I play a little of everything, but the band I'm currently in is a mix of funk metal and old school metal.

MelodicDeathCore, New wave of American Heavy metal type stuff. Well thats what my band is, personally I'm obsessed with Thrash, Slayer, Anthrax, Sacred Reich, etc. etc.

I like Sonrise Play Praise & Worship at Church & do Cafe' s on the weekends. I've played from the early 70's till around '95 doing everything from Cream, Zep, Hendrix, all the way thru the '80's doing Modern Progressive like Hu Do Guru's, NIN, Cult, Blondie, INXS, U2, Concrete Blond, Ramones, Sex Pistols...... It's soo much more rewarding when you're playin to praise the Lord. Plus your clothes don't stink like smoke & ya don't wake up with a head ache.

Mark Galicki said:
... Modern Progressive like Hu Do Guru's, NIN, Cult, Blondie, INXS, U2, Concrete Blond, Ramones, Sex Pistols......
I wouldn't have thought anyone outside of Australia would have heard of the Hoodoo Guru's. :D

Just so you know, they recently reformed for a benefit concert, as did Midnight Oil.

I myself play a variety of styles. I began with church music (seems to be a common theme here) playing with my folks. Then i played in the school band (standard stuff). I play mostly blues/rock, with a bit of hard rock/progressive rock thrown in for good measure.

I try (quite pathetically really) to learn songs by bands i like, such as DT, Steve Vai, LTE, various other technically proficient players. :wink:

In one band I play metal in the style of Ensiferum, Amon Amarth, In Flames (Jester Race-era) and a touch of Iron Maiden.

In the other band I play bass and we're basically... (old) Slayer meets Angelcorpse meets Dissection meets Emperor meets Venom meets 80's Thrash.

In my free time I just experiment.

Anonymous said:
But it stops before hitting Nirvana (Seattle should be nuked!) Then only recent stuff I like is Gov't Mule, Green Day, The Donnas, The Darkness

Sorry man, that just has me laughing so hard. Luckily grunge has finally died in Seattle, despite the local radio station's desperate efforts to play Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and a couple other crappy grunge bands 12 hours out of the day.

I'm also into the heavy stuff. The olderI get, the heavier I like it.

I'm playing a unique blend of Modern, Hardcore, Punk, Progressive & Funk. I also am one of the Worship Leaders at my church. I lead a high energy worship service called "The Altarnator". We break out the heavy artillery for this event. We have a saying around our place. "Worship the Lord our God in the highest . . . volume possible"

anywhere from blues to black metal.
floyd, soundgarden, alice, blues traveler, TOOL, metallica, in flames, dimmu
borgir, becker, stump, incubus, shadows fall, gary moore, los lonely
boys, vaughan, opeth, pearl jam, skid row, GNR, nightwish, ozzy,
primus, chili peppers, vai, STP, ugly kid joe just to name a few!

Back