So, what style(s) of music you play?

Not related to the rest of the board or guitars

Moderators: Grandor, ned, Guitarzan

screamingdaisy
Donating Member

So, what style(s) of music you play?

Post by screamingdaisy » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:56 pm

Me personally, I like to play a bit of everything, from ZZTop to Slayer to Garth Brooks.

But when doing something my way, I'm a cross between punk (older), sludge, and thrash.
Ignore the hype and trust your ears. Play more, buy less = better tone.

Grandor

Post by Grandor » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:39 pm

I'm sorta a cross between Dreamtheater and Matteo Carcassi.

Classically trained Prog-rock shredi Genre.
\m/ Grandor was here \m/
tiger roach wrote:If I wanted things nice and simple, I would play SS amps.

ned
Site Admin

Post by ned » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:30 pm

I'm mostly a blue rock type - Cream/Clapton, Zep, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, Kiss. and of course Van Halen. But will pretty much play anything.

Ned

boogieslide
Mark III

Post by boogieslide » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:28 pm

Blues, Funk, Classic Rock, Modern Rock, Metal. The band I am getting started now is going to do Modern Rock like Foo Fighters, Velvet Revolver, Green Day, Incubus, etc.
Last band was blues and funk. That was a lot of fun, especially when we had this kick ass keyboard playing with us. I love playing with keys!

mrdylan
Mark II

Post by mrdylan » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:08 am

Mostly metal with my band.

But I record on my PC and the styles vary depending on the song from Blues to electronica/Industrial type stuff to Rock and Metal.

I like Music I believe a good song is a good song regardless of style.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:33 am

I'm not a pro, so what I play depends on my mood on any given day. About the only music I don't play is jazz.

I like rock - from Scotty Moore and Buddy Holly to Beatles to Cream to Led Zeppelin to Free to Rush to Boston to Judas Priest to Metallica.... But it stops before hitting Nirvana (Seattle should be nuked!) Then only recent stuff I like is Gov't Mule, Green Day, The Donnas, The Darkness, and thank God for Los Lonely Boys! Henry Garza inspires me to grab the Strat again.

I like blues - the 3 Kings, Buddy Guy, Otis Rush, Stevie Ray... but I'll never master that style.

I play pretty convincing C&W on acoustic, but I can't make a twang to save my life. (Hey hun, can I buy a Tele this year?)

cvansickle
Mark IV

Post by cvansickle » Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:39 pm

Anonymous wrote:But it stops before hitting Nirvana (Seattle should be nuked!)
+1 !!!
Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!

sonrise
Bottle Rocket

Post by sonrise » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:25 am

Im strictly a "Praise and Worship" player.....I did rock in all its forms, playing mostly bass, from the early 60's till the mid 80's, then the booze and drugs got the best of me, and I quit playing altogether.....I got sober 11 years ago and started playing six string acoustic in church....someone asked about putting a praise team together, so now thats what I do....Im not great by anymeans, but I sure am enjoying myself more than anyother time...
"Let everything that has breath praise the Lord"...Psalm 150:6

cvansickle
Mark IV

Post by cvansickle » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:35 am

I did the folk acoustic music in church for 11 years. It was great for my soul, and all that acoustic playing in a drumless format really did wonders for my sense of rhythm and timing. Alas, I got burned out on it at the end of 2003.
Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins!

nocluejimbo
Mark III

Post by nocluejimbo » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:31 pm

Prog / metal / classic rock / blues (in order of priority)

I also dabble in jazz and ambient.

Erik
Mark II

Post by Erik » Wed Feb 02, 2005 10:04 am

I play a little of everything, but the band I'm currently in is a mix of funk metal and old school metal.

ThousandSwords
Bottle Rocket

Post by ThousandSwords » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:27 am

MelodicDeathCore, New wave of American Heavy metal type stuff. Well thats what my band is, personally I'm obsessed with Thrash, Slayer, Anthrax, Sacred Reich, etc. etc.
Jackson DK2FF w/ EMG-81

Monster MPRO3500
BBE 482i sonic maximizer
Mesa/Boogie triaxis
Mesa/Boogie strategy 500 stereo
Mesa/Boogie Traditional recto cab (straight)

http://photobucket.com/albums/v622/Rayguitargod/Gear/

Mark Galicki
Bottle Rocket

Post by Mark Galicki » Mon Feb 07, 2005 2:44 pm

I like Sonrise Play Praise & Worship at Church & do Cafe' s on the weekends. I've played from the early 70's till around '95 doing everything from Cream, Zep, Hendrix, all the way thru the '80's doing Modern Progressive like Hu Do Guru's, NIN, Cult, Blondie, INXS, U2, Concrete Blond, Ramones, Sex Pistols...... It's soo much more rewarding when you're playin to praise the Lord. Plus your clothes don't stink like smoke & ya don't wake up with a head ache.
Dance like no one's watchin'
Play like no one's listenin'
and Praise the Lord in all you do.

Tyrone Biggums
Bottle Rocket

Post by Tyrone Biggums » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:22 am

Whatever crap I can throw together. Mainly heavy stuff.

shaun_kelton
Bottle Rocket

Post by shaun_kelton » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:57 pm

Mark Galicki wrote:... Modern Progressive like Hu Do Guru's, NIN, Cult, Blondie, INXS, U2, Concrete Blond, Ramones, Sex Pistols......
I wouldn't have thought anyone outside of Australia would have heard of the Hoodoo Guru's. :D

Just so you know, they recently reformed for a benefit concert, as did Midnight Oil.

I myself play a variety of styles. I began with church music (seems to be a common theme here) playing with my folks. Then i played in the school band (standard stuff). I play mostly blues/rock, with a bit of hard rock/progressive rock thrown in for good measure.

I try (quite pathetically really) to learn songs by bands i like, such as DT, Steve Vai, LTE, various other technically proficient players. :wink:
Shaun Kelton

JP fan