The Circle of 5ths?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inspired

Reaction score
I've been learning a lot of theory lately. I now know intervals well, and was wondering what I should start on next. Any ideas?

I've always wondered what the main purpose is of The Circle of 5ths. I know that it moves in 5ths around the circle, and that it can help you understand key signatures, like how many sharps and flats are in each key, but how does all of this help pertaining to writing songs? How in the world do you use it?

Inspired said:
I've been learning a lot of theory lately. I now know intervals well, and was wondering what I should start on next. Any ideas?

I've always wondered what the main purpose is of The Circle of 5ths. I know that it moves in 5ths around the circle, and that it can help you understand key signatures, like how many sharps and flats are in each key, but how does all of this help pertaining to writing songs? How in the world do you use it?

Great example of something I practive EVERY day. I play the major scales ascending and decending per the Circle of 5ths. That is, I play a 2 ocatave C Major, followed by a 2 octave G Major Scale, followed by a 2 octave D Major scale, followed by a 2 octave A Major scale, followed by a 2 octave E Major scale, followed by 2 octave B major scale, followed by a ........

This helps TREMENDOUSLY when modulating from key to key. It helps you to spot chords and notes common to 2 different keys which ease the transition of modulating from key to key.

Once you've mastered the Circle of 5ths in major keys, then it's time to do the same thing, via naturally occuring modes, like the dorian, phyrgian, lydian, mixolydian etc. In other words, instead of starting with C major, start with the D dorian mode, followed by the A Dorian mode, followed by the E dorain mode, followed by the B dorian mode etc etc, following a Cycle of 5ths.

Later on in life, if you stick with it, you'll tend to see things in terms of "scale fragments".

JazzRules said:
Inspired said:

Great example of something I practive EVERY day. I play the major scales ascending and decending per the Circle of 5ths. That is, I play a 2 ocatave C Major, followed by a 2 octave G Major Scale, followed by a 2 octave D Major scale, followed by a 2 octave A Major scale, followed by a 2 octave E Major scale, followed by 2 octave B major scale, followed by a ........

This helps TREMENDOUSLY when modulating from key to key. It helps you to spot chords and notes common to 2 different keys which ease the transition of modulating from key to key.

actually that sounds like a cool tip, instead of practising random scales i think im gonna do that.

JazzRules said:
Great example of something I practive EVERY day. I play the major scales ascending and decending per the Circle of 5ths.

Not a bad idea. I'll incorporate that into a practice routine. If anything, running all 7 modes through the circle will definitely get my ear even more trained on modulating in 5ths...like you said.

Back