Why I hate Guitar Center (Mesa Related) But really long.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vshine

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of corporate giants, so let me explain. I used to work at a local guitar store about 8 years ago, mostly just assistant stuff, but the whole vibe was about music and making people happy.

Flash forward to today. Theres only one local music store within 50 miles and two Guitar Centers and one Sam Ash. In December, I was in the process of buying a new PRS, had $2000 available and ready to go. I had done months of researching, playing and was on the fence between a McCarty and a Custom 22. Ready to buy, I went over to the local GC and scouted out what they had, a plain McCarty that everyone has, ie no birds, average top and McCarty standard color. Scratch that off the list, then I saw a Blue Matteo Custom 22, now bear in mind that these guitars are not brand new, anyone can take them down and play them. This one was in good, not great shape.

So I ask the sales guy, can I get this for $1900.00? I'm lowballing and infact had an extra CE 22 I was going to trade in. The sales guy takes 5 mins and comes back and says that they can't go below sticker $2749. No problem. I bought a Whale blue 2001 Custom 22 Artist Pack off of Ebay for $1935 shipped. Think I learned my lesson? Wrong

In January, I walk in one day to GC to pickup some strings and the guitar salesman asks me if I need any help, I ask him if they have any Mesa to try out. He comes back and says they do not carry Mesa.

So now, I sell my Crate Vintage club 1x12 (lol) and my CE 22 and I'm ready to buy a Mesa. Man, I can taste it, I'm so excited. I read on other forums that GC is blowing out Rectoverb heads for $799! Some guys have even had their heads shipped to other stores to pickup if they weren't in stock. I say to myself, hey give them another try. So I call them on a Friday night and the guy says " Sure we can order you a Rectoverb head and its only $799." I go in the next weekend and talk to the guy on the phone in person, who goes to the back and brings back a Mesa catalog. He tells me that he will place an order for a Rectoverb, he comes back three mins later and says, "We don't have any Mesas here and we cannot order one, but another GC 150 miles away has one."

Then he calls them and they have one. Great, I'll get a head and a 4x12 cabinet that they have on sale for $1000! He gets off the phone and says, "We can't sell you a Mesa. We're not authorized. Everyone here has a pass a 100 question test from Mesa or they take us off the authorized user list and they can't have more than two dealers in a 50 mile radius. Then he tells me to call the store 150 miles away. Same thing, they don't want to ship it to a store or even direct to me even if I pay for shipping and the head up front. This is also a returned and now it is a floor modeL

Screw that. I end up buying a Solo 50 head for $900 off of Ebay and should be here Tuesday. The point is, I am a hard working person who just wants to make music, my money is as good as anyones. But when big business and corporate bs take over, to me you're killing the spirit of rock and roll. But I got a really nice Mesa catalog from GC because they told me they won't need them anymore.

Don't forget to ask about a case for that PRS when buying from Guitarget! The only place I know of that does'nt include the case with purchase of a PRS!

GuiTarget! LMAO +100000 I wouldnt buy a set of strings in GC if I was gigging next door and broke one. The GC here in sacto is the worst music store I have ever seen in my life. They tried to sell me a Gibson Explorer "as-is" marked down to 900 bucks (!) and it had obviously been dropped on its headstock...neck split, fretboard separating from neck, finish destroyed...can you believe this crap???

Sucks you sort of got the runaround, but you can't really blame GC for Mesa's sales policy. Everybody knows there is no discounting on Mesa's, and part of this involves not shipping amps. That policy is designed to support each authorized dealer, and avoid undercutting. You want a new Mesa - go to the local authorized dealer. No mail order/internet sales = no shipping.

I'm not really an advocate of GC, except sometimes I can get ten sets of strings for 30 bucks, and I don't have a problem with that.

NoGlassNoClass said:
GuiTarget! LMAO +100000 I wouldnt buy a set of strings in GC if I was gigging next door and broke one. The GC here in sacto is the worst music store I have ever seen in my life. They tried to sell me a Gibson Explorer "as-is" marked down to 900 bucks (!) and it had obviously been dropped on its headstock...neck split, fretboard separating from neck, finish destroyed...can you believe this crap???

Thanks for saving me a trip down there. I was going to cruise down & check out the store, but after reading your post...I think not.

Can't have two dealers within 50 miles? That's BS. I live in NY, there's a GC in Queens, Carle Place Long Island and NYC, plus Rudy's in NYC is an authorized dealer. They're all within 25 miles of eachother.

BTW, I got in on that blowout sale in December. Mark IV Short Head and 2x12 Vertical Recto cab for $1229.

Not just the big corporate stores can be jerks..... I went to a local music store that I'd been going to since High School (17 years), and I have probably spent well over $15,000 there over the years - I went in there about 3 months ago, since they are the local Boogie dealer in town, to try out a few boogie heads, I grabbed a guitar similar to what I have at home and found a cord and plugged in and started playing at a semi low volume and one of the "ump-teen" salespersons walked up to me and said "Sir, did you ask to play that amp"? I said "no, I've never had to ask to play an amp before" - He just kind of looked at me like he was waiting for me to ask him and I just started playing again..... he stopped me and asked me to remove my jacket because the denium of the jacet would screatch the back of the guitar. I took off my jacket and he said thank you and walked off. A minute or two later I wanted to change channels and the footswitch wasn't hooked up, so I leaned over the amp and changed the channel and that same sales person came running over to me and yelled "What are you doing"!!! I said changing channels, and I explained to him that I wasn't some guy in here to mess everything up and I knew what I was doing. He said "let ME know when you want to switch channels and I'll do it for you", at that point I handed him the guitar and asked him to turn it off, I chuckled and said "I'm going to Ebay" and I walked out.

Found a 2002 triple rectifier in Mint condition for $1250 shipped.

(Flash Forward to 4 days ago)-
Out of habbit, I went back to that same music store looking for combo amp to play at smaller gigs and the lake gigs this summer (dont want to take my boogie on a dock or lake barge). I played a few amps this time and I'll be Dam*ed if the same salesperson (out of the ump-teen others available) walk up to me and was a little nicer this time, but still treated me like I was 13 years old! One of the other sales persons that works there that knows who I am walked by and was just shaking his head and kind of mouthed to me "Sorry" like he was sorry I got stuck with that person, he later made the comment to me that nobody really likes to deal with that guy - So I guess it wasn't just me he did that to.. He did do something that I probably should have taken as a compliment though - While I was playing a little combo, he brought a couple of 15 yr old guys over and asked me to play a guitar for them that they wanted to buy! At least he let me actually play the stuff, he wouldn't even let these kids/guys play the stuff.

I will probably still go back there, but not quite as often - but I guess it sometimes isn't the store that stinks, it's the lousy salespeople they have that act like they know more than they do.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now...... Later

Guess I'm lucky, I've had only good experiences with the two Guitar Centers near me. They have a good selection of gear and great prices. Never got any attitude from the workers, either, and at one of the stores I went and played just about every Mesa they had on the floor :)

I did check out an "independent" (not a chain) store, too. Very poor selection and the employees brushed me off.

It's water under the bridge now, but I won't buy from GC again. I'd rather buy used or new from Ebay. Just a shame that kids today will have to grow up with Guitarget instead of being able to go to five different music stores in one town like I did.

first things first, I know a few folks who work in Guitar Centers in the Bay Area, and they seriously get pissed when people call the store guitarget, so PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE keep calling it that :p

My hatred for guitar center is also Mesa related.

In 2001 I went in to the store with the intentions of buying a new single recto. I also went it with the understanding that I could buy this thing and make no payments for year thanks to one of their promotional deals with their GC credit card thing, whatever its called.

So I make sure with the salesman that all this is correct:
that if I pay the amp off within 1 year, I will not have to pay interest on it, (which was a insanely high rate of something 23%). The salesman confirms the promotion and I walk out incredibly happy with my first Mesa!

3 months later I get a little suprise in the mail. Its a bill for the amp, and it is WITH interest. So I know Im yelling at the guitarcenter I bought it from. They told me that the promotion was no good for Mesa amps, which were only available w/ 3months without payments. Of course I tell them thats not what the salesperson told me, one problem though, the guy who sold me the amp no longer worked there. So they refer me back to whoever does their financing, who sends me back to the GC manager.
Im going back and forth for a few days already. So then I decided to test my knowledge of legal jargon and start threatening them with bait and switch lawsuits along with other things that probably made no sense or didnt actually exist but sounded intimidating. Finally the manager who to my suprise, started to act honestly concerned after I started screaming about legal actions, and said he would contact the finance department himself. Long story short a week later I got a new balance without interest for another 9 months.

I vowed never to return to guitar center after that. Though I hate to say, now I love the store... it helps that I can get almost anything at cost because I know a manager 8)

So the moral of the story is befriend GC employess no matter how dumb they are

no soul said:
I vowed never to return to guitar center after that. Though I hate to say, now I love the store... it helps that I can get almost anything at cost because I know a manager 8)

So the moral of the story is befriend GC employess no matter how dumb they are

hahaha Thats so funny. I like it.

I actually have a good story about GC. I used to deal exclusively with Sam Ash not even a mile down the road but it didn't matter if I was buying strings or a guitar, it took 45 minutes to get in and out. I went over to GC met the manager just talking casually, told him I was just browsing for some PA equipment and he made some suggestions and left me alone until I made a decision. If I needed help he was there and very patient. I ended buying from them. Same thing with my Rectoverb, they let me play for as long as I wanted. I played Strats, LP's, PRS' no problem. I bought the Boogie from them and they remember, when I go in they ask me how its doing. Like the other post, its nice to know somebody there and not get hassled.

That 50 mile BS is just that, BS. So is the no shipping bull. Here in the Detroit there are three GC's that are way less then 50 miles apart as well as other independent stores that all carry Mesa. In January I wanted to take advantage of the $1000 TriAxis sale GC had, but the closest one they could find was in Chicago. They had it shipped to my house, which saved me time and effort, and they covered shipping.

if you guys want a good experience with guitar center, good prices,
and a guy who honestly cares about you and your gear, give me a call.
you wont even have to go into the store you seem to loathe so much.
my name is steve, i work at guitar center in edina minnesota.
the stores number is 952-929-1680. my cell phone number is
612-743-2691. ill ship you gear any where in the country.
call me up. i guarantee ill treat you better than any other place to
buy gear, GC or otherwise. im not offended by the stories mentioned above at all. you guys all seem to have pretty legitimate reasons for
feeling the way you do. bad things happen unfortunately.
so im here to correct them. and no, its not all about the commission,
its win-win. give me a chance to prove you wrong.

vulture2600 said:
if you guys want a good experience with guitar center, good prices,
and a guy who honestly cares about you and your gear, give me a call.
you wont even have to go into the store you seem to loathe so much.
my name is steve, i work at guitar center in edina minnesota.
the stores number is 952-929-1680. my cell phone number is
612-743-2691. ill ship you gear any where in the country.
call me up. i guarantee ill treat you better than any other place to
buy gear, GC or otherwise. im not offended by the stories mentioned above at all. you guys all seem to have pretty legitimate reasons for
feeling the way you do. bad things happen unfortunately.
so im here to correct them. and no, its not all about the commission,
its win-win. give me a chance to prove you wrong.

thats cool mate.
Its always good to see guys like you around...

If I was in the us, Id buy a hotplate off you right now.. lol

Mesa does have regions in which only one dealer is allowed, but the 50 mile mark is a bit off.

In the bay area we have 4 guitar centers, all within 50 miles of each other, and 3 of the 4 of them sell Mesa.

i usually have more problems with local music stores than guitarcenter. i went to a place with my firend to look for a 4x12 cab. he was totally lowballing my friend. just out of curiosity i asked him how much my nomad 45 head would bring in... after telling me what seemed like 3 times "well, id have to see it" i was like its a 45 head MINT condition and just got retubed... he goes, "probably $200 or $300" :lol: i just laughed in his face and told him even guitar center was better.

but then there are the GC guys who just dont seem to know WTF theyre talking about, which pisses me off. dont get me wrong there are some really cool guys that work there and have lots of knowledge (usually tending to be older and or a manager of some sort)

when someone tells me they cant knock even 10 bucks off of a $200 whammy pedal telling me "yea, we're not makin any money off of it" oh really? you carry a product and its regular price is what you guys pay for it?

there is a reason we can justify sticking to 200 bucks on a whammy, its
the best deal youre gonna find, period. and if not, we want to know about
it, because we guarantee the lowest price, even at full pop.
but thats not to say i wont make sure every deal happens.
customers leaving empty handed is no fun for anyone. trust me, i know.
as far as used gear goes, GC's policy is to not quote anything, even
a ball park, till we see it. thats just better for everyone. the only
negative out come is someone might waste a trip to find out
that we might not give anywhere near what the customer was expecting.
and trust me, that rarely happens.
i work on commission, and pretty hard at that. i want as much business
as possible, but where excellent customer service goes, commission
follows, not the other way around.
we have 144 stores (thats the last number i heard, a new store opens up
pretty much every week) and we didnt get there by screwing people,
quite the contrary.

Back