How Did You Start or Find A Band?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atomic.Sheep

Reaction score
I wanna start of find a band. I've looked through various newspapers, music magazines with the sections for advertising bands, searched the net, and simply can't seem to find anything suitable (there is just so little advertisements for bands, that its rather dipressing). How did you find/establish your band?

P.S. I don't know anyone that play or listen to music that I like (Metal), so searching among friends isn't really an option.

The band I've just put together (still waiting for rehearsal space) was done using Craig's List (craigslist.org I think). I posted a add and got response for a full band within 3 weeks. Took longer for bass player and drummer.

Ned

Go to metal shows in your area and talk to people there. You should be able to find some people who are musicians (most likely guitarists though).

Find the local 'metal scene' and start talking to people in it. Usually you can hear about people wanting to start up projects or needing other members and you can join a band or start up a new project without too much trouble.

If you do it the old fashion way with the classifieds in the newspapers prepare for a lot of deadbeats, flakes, druggies, and losers. Craigslist is usually better, but I've run into tons of people who e-mail once or leave a message on my phone and I never hear from them again.

+1million to everything Inearthed said. Getting involved in your local music scene is great on so many levels. Once your in that network, people tend to look out for you by passing on your info to any of their friends that are looking for a gig.

Classified ads are such a pain in the a$$. For some reason, it attracts an idiot ratio of about 15:1.

jong said:
Erik said:
Classified ads are such a pain in the a$$. For some reason, it attracts an idiot ratio of about 15:1.

Right on the money. I wanna ask... WHY?!?!?!? :roll:

Most good musicians move on word of mouth there is no need to announce auditions if the band is semi known etc because they allready have enough friends that can fill the position in no time.

Yeh, that sounds pretty good, I'll give that a go, I already know someone who performs regularly (in a band) so I could go along to his gigs and check out the puplic there.

mrdylan said:
jong said:
Erik said:

Right on the money. I wanna ask... WHY?!?!?!? :roll:

Most good musicians move on word of mouth there is no need to announce auditions if the band is semi known etc because they allready have enough friends that can fill the position in no time.

yea.... look at limp bizkit. :lol:

Latest posts

Back