Awkward guitar rig (warning Adam Jones rig)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David.W

Reaction score
*General chat*

Just browsing the guitar rigs online. Ive been looking at this rig for some time trying to figure it out. To be honest its the Marshall bass head I dont understand, ive nerver seen it applied to a rig before.

Am I seeing things...?? Marshall bass head??

tool_adam_2001.gif

Hes got a pretty full sound to say hes the only guitar player, and ive seen live footage, they are extremely thick sounding live. I'd be interested to see a more current rig. It is unique anyway.

Yeah, they used to make bass heads back in the old days. As a matter of fact, the first guitar amps they made were loosly based on the Fender Bassman 4x10 amp. The bass amps were pretty widely used because they had a bit better low end response to them.

That is great to know Redmax thanks, I had no idea. I have heard of a much older Fender bass amp making the cross over to guitar rigs, I just didnt think it was common.

Do you know of any modern bass amps being used in this fashion?

Thanks again,
David.

No, I think most of the newer bass amps are much more calibrated for bass guitar. I'm using my bass amp in the context of amplifying the Piezo on one of my electrics, and it works pretty well for that. But I wouldn't use it for a straight on electric amp.

I read somewhere that Marshall surfaced after they got a fender bassman and modified it and put it under the Marshall badge (like not quite as literally as Randall Smith but used the same circuitry and made some adjustments to it... "hot-rodded it"). Not 100% certain about this thou.2

I've run my guitar through a bass head before. It sounds just like a guitar head, only with tons of headroom. It's great if you want to rely on stomps for your dirt tone.

As for bass amps being used for guitar....it's not uncommon in sludge and doom metal.

Then again, in sludge and doom it's not uncommon to see a bassist rocking a guitar amp.

Here's a little more info on why he uses that setup...

I plug into three amps at the same time -- even when I play live. For what I want, I don't think one amp would do the trick. One amp is for a solid-state sound, one for more of a non-master-volume tone, and the third fills in the bottom with a cardboard crunch. If you used the amps individually, you'd find that one doesn't have much low end, and one doesn't have enough high end. But they're really good together because you're getting three different things at once, and you can hear all of that in the sound. That's why it sounds so big.

Taken from http://www.musictoyz.com/articles/choptool.php

Back