Where to get Mesa OEM tolex and grill cloth?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuhrModern

Reaction score
I would like to change the tolex and grill cloth from the standard Black Taurus/Black Grill to Wine Taurus/Cream Black Jute Grill.

Can anyone tell me where I can source these specific Mesa OEM tolex and grill cloth since Mesa does not sell raw materials.

Thanks.

Yes, I found several places that sell Wine Taurus, but don't know if it's the same as Mesa sources from. I was hoping someone might know. I have yet to find an alternate source for Cream Black Jute Grill cloth. I'll keep searching.

After much searching I have come to the following conclusions:
* The tolex and grill cloth is Mesa specific and is not sold to anyone else. Mesa would not provide the manufacture or brand they use. I asked and Mesa said: "Sorry, but that information is not available."
* Wine Taurus is available from other sources but it's unknown if any of them are the same as what Mesa uses.
* If you want Mesa grill cloth you will have to pay Mesa to create a new speaker cover.

SuhrModern said:
Yes, I found several places that sell Wine Taurus, but don't know if it's the same as Mesa sources from. I was hoping someone might know. I have yet to find an alternate source for Cream Black Jute Grill cloth. I'll keep searching.

I've made many cabs using it and also seen many Mesa cabs that have it. It's the same tolex.
There's basically one manufacturer for all the tolex that everyone uses and/ or sells.

The mojo black jute and cane (what you are calling cream?) jute are a match for what mesa uses as well

I've made many cabs using it and also seen many Mesa cabs that have it. It's the same tolex.
There's basically one manufacturer for all the tolex that everyone uses and/ or sells.

A number of suppliers I spoke with indicated that they are all the same as well. I got a sample set from one of the suppliers and the thickness and pattern were exactly the same. I was even able to exactly match the pattern on 2 of the sample pieces(Wine Tolex and Black Tolex) to the back panel of my Road King II! Verified! Exactly the same!

The mojo black jute and cane (what you are calling cream?) jute are a match for what mesa uses as well

I have not seen a grill cloth called "black jute and cane" anywhere. Link please?

BTW, I also got a grill sample set and one of them is marked "Mesa/Boogie Black Jute". When I compare the sample to what is on the Mesa cab, they are not the same. It is close, but the Mesa grill has a finer rounder thread, where the sample is thicker and flat. It's similar, but it is not the same.

I can't directly compare to a Mesa cabinet with Cream and Black since I don't have access to one, but looking at pictures on the internet, the "British Style Salt and Pepper" grill sample I have looks like a match. The "cream" color thread in the grill matches well to the Mesa color text on the amp.

Here is a nice close up of a Cream and Black Mesa grill.
2.M35.117D-NAVY_CROC_4_of_7__54304.1520883680.1280.1280.jpg

Compare that to this sample image: (color is a bit washed out in this photo)
GCBSP-2.jpg

I have a tremoverb in gold jute. Got a mesa rectifier cab with the typical black grill cloth. Has anyone had mesa make a new speaker cover/ grill cloth for them? How much so they charge? The tremoverb is so glorious I want to have the matching cab

Yes, Mesa's tolex comes from Kayline.

Fortunately, while Kayline doesn't sell small quantities, SpeakerBuilderSupply carries most, maybe all, of the coverings offered by Kayline.

If there are any you want that SBS doesn't carry, contact Kayline and ask for a supplier who carries the specific type of interest.

I'm addicted to Kayline's blue/black snakeskin pattern.

If I have a known set of good dimensions to work from, I'll MAKE you a new grill frame and cover it in the grill cloth of your choice for a very reasonable price. The best way to proceed is for you to take your grill off and measure and photograph it front and rear and send that info to me. The more precise your measurements are, the better.

I'd say that a hundred bucks is enough for most any grill for any combo amp.

I can make the grill frame and if the grill cloth is available from any of the usual sources (Mojotone, Speakerbuildersupply, Antique Radio Supply) then I can get it.

Latest posts

Back