An Amplification Epoch?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r33per

Reaction score
I'm sure many of you will have seen Chappers and The Captain's videos about the Kemper Amp Profiling. If not, they are here (part1) and here (part2).

I've pretty much always been an "all-tube, please" when it comes to amps, at least since I was about 18. However, I think that these videos are food for thought.

When it comes down to it, here's the thing: in the UK a Kemper modelling amp is about 2000GBP, a Mesa JP-2C is over 3000GBP for the standard head - and I only pick that because it is Mesa's latest and flagship offering in the amp market. If a Kemper can give me the feel of a JP-2C and give the punters the sound of a JP-2C, what would compel me to spend the extra grand on the real thing? Especially considering that with the Kemper I then have the added advantage of also having a Marchall JCM800, a Vox AC30, an EVH 5150 and whatever else I can profile and fit into its memory.

So, I'm keen to know what the other board members think of this video, their experiences with amp modelling/profiling etc. and would you/have you gone fully digital (if so why; if not why not) etc. etc. etc...

{puts on helmet, ducks for cover...}

From what I understand of the Kemper is that it gives you a specific snapshot (profile) of an amp, and that once that snapshot is taken what you can do with it is somewhat limited.

For instance, if you took a profile of a JP-2C with the gain at 9 you can't just turn the gain on the Kemper down to 8 and expect it to sound like a JP-2C with the gain at 8. If you wanted that you would need another profile of it with the gain at 8. Same goes for tweaking the tone controls.... turning down the treble on a Kemper won't produce the same result as turning down the treble on a JP-2C. You'd need another profile to produce that sound.

Also, from what I understand the Kemper doesn't react to your volume control and picking dynamics the same way a real amp does.

So... it's not like you can download a JP-2C profile and get a JP-2C for free. You're getting an image of what someone else thought sounded good on that particular day.

In the end it's a trade off. If you don't own/have access to the specific amp/cab yourself you're limited to using other people's settings since you can't dial in and profile your own amp.

You need to try it. Specifically, with Michael Britt profiles...that's the difference. If you gig regularly and consider a wider variety of features other than exacting tone duplication, then there's much more to like. It's not for everyone but before deciding, judge for yourself through experience. It can be very eyebrow raising. :shock:

Latest posts

Back