NAD Friedman Content

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitrobattery

Reaction score
I don't know how Dave did it, but he did it. This little EL84 20 watt amp sounds like a ripping EL34 pissed off 100 watt machine....at a manageable volume (but gets LOUD). Big, round low end....fat mids, bell-like top end and the gain knob is usable from 1-10. Really impressed.

Photo%20Jul%2014%208%2009%2013%20PM%201_zps863k34uw.jpg

Sorry for bumping an older post.

Which model is that? and I assume it would compare to Marshall tones, which era of Marshall would you say it captures? plexi, 800?

This is the Pink Taco. It's like a 20watt Plexi. Really, really cool amp. I ended up selling it because the Splawn kind of has me covered in that area....but I do sort of kick myself for letting it go. I'll pick up another one eventually.

Nitrobattery said:
This is the Pink Taco. It's like a 20watt Plexi. Really, really cool amp. I ended up selling it because the Splawn kind of has me covered in that area....but I do sort of kick myself for letting it go. I'll pick up another one eventually.

Man, that means I've gotta ask you a question. How would you compare the Friedman to the Splawn? And which model Splawn do you have? I had a nitro for a while and it did sound nice really thick and heavy tone but there was something to the character that I just wasn't in to. If the Friedman is very comparable to that I may end up not liking it.

Thanks for the info.

Chiliphil1 said:
Nitrobattery said:

Man, that means I've gotta ask you a question. How would you compare the Friedman to the Splawn? And which model Splawn do you have? I had a nitro for a while and it did sound nice really thick and heavy tone but there was something to the character that I just wasn't in to. If the Friedman is very comparable to that I may end up not liking it.

Thanks for the info.

The Splawn pictured here is a Quick Rod. I had a Nitro for a while, but I too ended up selling it. It was cool and kind of a JCM800/Dual Rectifier hybrid...but I far prefer the Quick Rods that I've owned. The Quick Rod does the hot-rodded Plexi and hot-rodded JCM800 tones wonderfully. Less rumble than the Nitro, but still plenty of low end. Unlike the Nitro though, the mids and top end are infinitely more musical and the gain structure is way tighter and less saturated.

The Friedman sounds a lot like the Quick Rod. It's just a really awesome sounding modded Marshall Plexi circuit...and don't let the 20 watts fool you. It can get more than loud enough to gig with, and it lets you get that dimed Plexi sound without having to be so insanely loud that you peel the paint off of the walls.

I ended up selling the Friedman to fund some more recording gear, but I sort of kick myself for it. It's an awesome amp. I'll definitely pick up another one at some point. If you're into Marshalls, you'll love the Friedman.

Nitrobattery said:
Chiliphil1 said:
Nitrobattery said:

Thanks for the info.

The Splawn pictured here is a Quick Rod. I had a Nitro for a while, but I too ended up selling it. It was cool and kind of a JCM800/Dual Rectifier hybrid...but I far prefer the Quick Rods that I've owned. The Quick Rod does the hot-rodded Plexi and hot-rodded JCM800 tones wonderfully. Less rumble than the Nitro, but still plenty of low end. Unlike the Nitro though, the mids and top end are infinitely more musical and the gain structure is way tighter and less saturated.

The Friedman sounds a lot like the Quick Rod. It's just a really awesome sounding modded Marshall Plexi circuit...and don't let the 20 watts fool you. It can get more than loud enough to gig with, and it lets you get that dimed Plexi sound without having to be so insanely loud that you peel the paint off of the walls.

I ended up selling the Friedman to fund some more recording gear, but I sort of kick myself for it. It's an awesome amp. I'll definitely pick up another one at some point. If you're into Marshalls, you'll love the Friedman.

Cool, thank you for the reply. I picked up one of the Friedman BE-OD pedals yesterday and I really do like what it does. If it's comparable to Friedman amps then they are definately something I would like. It's got all the Marshall feel and grind without the obnoxious top end. I'll probably look into one of the small Friedman amps eventually. I used to gig a Marshall DSL15, so I know the volume will be there. It had no issue at all keeping up with the band.

Nitrobattery said:
I don't know how Dave did it, but he did it. This little EL84 20 watt amp sounds like a ripping EL34 pissed off 100 watt machine....at a manageable volume (but gets LOUD). Big, round low end....fat mids, bell-like top end and the gain knob is usable from 1-10. Really impressed.

Photo%20Jul%2014%208%2009%2013%20PM%201_zps863k34uw.jpg

I knew you would have to buy a Friedman someday :lol:

Just a general question to Nitrobattery the OP. I've had the pleasure of checking out some Friedman amps, but never any Splawns. How would you compared them? Would like to hear your opinions 8)

KH Guitar Freak said:
Just a general question to Nitrobattery the OP. I've had the pleasure of checking out some Friedman amps, but never any Splawns. How would you compared them? Would like to hear your opinions 8)

Ah crap, sorry for the delay in the response. I don't own any Mesa amps anymore so I'm not here as much. Still have my Mesa cab though!

I flat out love the Splawns. And luckily for my wallet, for the way I play and the tones I like, I actually prefer the Quick Rod over the BE-100. To me, the Quick Rod is everything that I love about a hot-rodded Marshall and everything that I love about a Mesa Mark series amp. It has all of the Marshall mids and top end (if you want it) but it also has the low end punch of a Mark series Boogie. I've got my Mesa cab loaded with V30's and a Wizard cab loaded with Greenbacks....and armed with the Splawn and the right cab for the job, I can do anything from classic rock to over the top metal.

This is a clip of my older QR that I sold when I got my newest one, but you'll hear what I mean about the Marshall/Mesa hybrid thing. I've had 20+ heads over the years looking for the sound that was in my head, and as soon as I plugged into a Quick Rod it was just like, "Oh. That. That's it". So much so that I sold off my four other amp heads and have just been playing the Quick Rod since. The only amp that I think I like more than the Splawn for this type of tone is the Wizard Modern Classic, but it's more than double the price tag and I only like it around 5% more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHBlRLvqzDM

Back