i want to use my triple rectifier as a slave for my Orange a

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaySin

Reaction score
So i have a 150w Triple Rectifier and a 30w Orange Dual Terror that i have recently fell in love with.
I have read that i can use my Rectifier as a slave for power but want to make sure i get some answers before i connect it and blow something.
So what i read is i can run from the 8ohm speaker out of my Orange(since it doesn't have any sort of direct output) into the effects loop return of the rectifier and as long as i have a speaker cab connected to take the load I'm ok.
Is this true and is it safe. If anyone has any kind of set options for me that would be great. For instance, how should i set up the send and mix nobs on the effects loop and does it matter what channel i use on the mesa. I guess it should be clean since its the Orange tone i want. Is there anything i should be doing with the effects send?, and is it the mesa i should have the speaker cab connected to?

I think you'll fry both amps like that!!!

The Mesa can be used as a power amp only, but it only wants a preamp signal, not a powered signal.
The Orange must have a speaker/load-box connected or it will fry.

You'd go from Orange effects send/out (if it had one) into Mesa's slave input.
You also will need a cab/load connected to the Mesa or it will get toasted.

I got the idea from this article which suggests it will work as long as there is a cab for a load.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/obey-your-master-the-art-of-amp-slaving/

Using the Mesa slave output wont get what i want cause then i will be only drawing power from the Orange and still use the Mesa tone and i want the opposite of that.
I spoke with an amp tech (mesa certified) that ive known for a long time and he said i should use a power soak between the connection from the orange to the mesa. Either that or a Hotplate or a H&K Redbox D.I. I kinda knew that stuff already but didn't wanna spend another $200-300 on a Hotplate. I csn make a powersoak for $20 do im gonna try that. A friend of mine is gonna bring one by today so i can test it.

you can connect instrument level signal from either amp to the other. (Pre-amp out/fx-out/slave-out into the other amp's power amp-in/fx-in/slave-in.)

Both amps must have a speaker connected at all times!

Each amp is a little different but basically the end result is the same. Guitar goes into one amp's pre...pre-out of that amp goes to the other amp's power amp input.
Some amps end up being noisy because of ground loops or mismatched fx out/in impedances causing excessive noise.

DO NOT USE SPEAKER OUT ON EITHER AMP INTO THE OTHER!

Always connect a speaker to each amp. Then run the pre amp signal from one amp to the other.

I'm going to stand back and wait for the "I just blew up my Triple Recto" thread...

Edit: on second thought, I'll try and be more helpful...

Normally, you'd go from the Oranges slave out or effects loop send into the Recto's effects loop return. Unfortunately, your Orange has neither one of those features.

Alternatively (and this is what I think you're actually trying to accomplish) you'd run the speaker out into a load box (like a Hotplate) that has a built in line out that you'd run into the Recto's effects loop return.

What I think you're actually going to try is run one 8ohm speaker output into a load, and the other 8ohm speaker out into the Recto's effects loop return... And if you do, please record a video. :lol:

Latest posts

Back