Talkbox into a Mark IV? Which speaker outs - 4 or 8 ohms?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jediguitarist

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been using a Heil talkbox for over a decade. Mainly into an original 5150 combo, recently into a DC-5 combo. Simple setup is speaker cable from the amp into the talkbox. On the 5150, there is just a single extension speaker out and worked perfect for 7+ years.

My issue is this: Should I be using both of the 4ohm jacks when I run this setup on my Mark IV? I was under the impression that even with the talkbox disengaged, there is still a load. I guess my concern is mismatching the load on the output.

Is there a through output on the talk box? You should be able to connect the talk box to the speaker out from your amp to the talk box in and then from the talk box out to the speaker using only one 8 ohm output. Obviously you'll need two speaker cables, a guitar cable will not work between speaker out and the talk box in.

Markedman said:
Is there a through output on the talk box? You should be able to connect the talk box to the speaker out from your amp to the talk box in and then from the talk box out to the speaker using only one 8 ohm output. Obviously you'll need two speaker cables, a guitar cable will not work between speaker out and the talk box in.
+1
The ones I've seen have 2 jacks, In from amp and out to speaker. So the footswitch on the unit is basically an A/B box meaning "A" would be talkbox engaged, speaker off or "B" speaker engaged, talkbox off . Is your concern an ohms mismatch?( the heil is 8 ohms ) Is your speaker cab 8 ohms? I'm unsure how you would run it with 2 outputs from your amp, you only want one or the other engaged at a time . An alternative you can A/B your guitar into 2 different amps, one running speaker, one running talkbox but that requires 2 amps. The only advantage there that I see is you can set the amp running the talkbox at different settings.

Lol. Necro my own thread just in case there are similar questions from others.

The Heil has two jacks which are 'from amp' and 'to speaker.' The suggestions above work with a separate head and cabinet. As said by Buster Leggs, the talkbox is an a/b switch which will engage the talkbox while disengaging the speaker cab.

The way I use it with a combo is using only one setup cable from the amp speaker out, into the Heil 'from amp.' This setup doesn't allow for a talkbox only sound into a pa system. The guitar sound through the amp is still heard.

For a combo amp, I would need to disconnect the internal speaker.
Speaker cable from amp output to Heil 'from amp.'
Speaker cable from Heil 'to speaker' to the internal speaker plug.

The only other piece of hardware I would need is to have one end of the speaker cable to be female to accept the internal speaker jack.

This should allow the talkbox to function as an a/b. Please feel free to correct me. Thanks

Latest posts

Back