Speaker impedance ? Hiwatt Cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoads

Reaction score
Hi Guys,i found an old 4x12 Hiwatt (1976) cab in a Pawn shop for 80 $, yes 80 bucks ! but inside have got three Fane purple Speaker 16 Ohms and one Fender Jensen 8 ohms. I know this cab bring normaly 16 ohms with is four original speakers, but when i measure with a multimeter a the end of the cab with the Jensen speaker have got 9 ohms. I have to run the cab with 8 ohms connection ? I do something wrong ? i don't want to damage my amp with a bad speaker connection.Thanks for the answer !

Rhoads said:
Hi Guys,i found an old 4x12 Hiwatt (1976) cab in a Pawn shop for 80 $, yes 80 bucks ! but inside have got three Fane purple Speaker 16 Ohms and one Fender Jensen 8 ohms. I know this cab bring normaly 16 ohms with is four original speakers, but when i measure with a multimeter a the end of the cab with the Jensen speaker have got 9 ohms. I have to run the cab with 8 ohms connection ? I do something wrong ? i don't want to damage my amp with a bad speaker connection.Thanks for the answer !
I'm just wondering how it's showing 9 ohm. Does it read 9 ohm overall, or just on the Jensen speaker alone?

You *should* be OK. Generally, a speaker with more ohms than what the amp is set to run at is OK. Never the other way (a speaker with less ohms than what the amp is set for).

Personally, the whole thing sounds like a great deal, but sounds dodgy, too. I'd inspect everything in the wiring before I did anything, and even then I'd probably find a decent 16 ohm speaker to replace the 8 to make sure I had two pairs of parallel wired 16s wired in series to the jackplate for 16 ohms total load.

Thanks Kiwijoe ! It's 9 ohms overall at the speaker jack ! so, you're right i'm gonna wait and change that speaker for a vintage 16 omhs.

I'm not too sure any 8 ohm speakers will be measured at 8 ohms. I seen an "8 ohm" speaker measure at 6.8 ohms!

Yes, you should be fine if your total speaker impedance is more than amp's "input jack suggest impedance".

Wow, Fanes are my favorite speakers.

Now depending which Fanes (alnico or ceramic magnets) you have, Weber Speakers has replacements. [ select from the menu "Hi Power Series" => 12" model => "Thames" You have your option of ceramics or alnicos. They are price accordingly ]

Yeah, like KiwiJoe, check all the speakers, wiring etc ... that is too good of price! A Fane aficionado like me would if mind if a few of the speakers needs to be recone. $80 is sure a bargain.

That's the real deal ! an Hiwatt SE 4122 cab with Fane purple speakers 122142 (1976) inside.

That's a very heavy cab and it sound incredible, alot of bass and mid and are extremely crystal clear to my ears. Simply wow

I saw that cab a few month ago and nobody grab it beacause they have an hole on the grill cloth and the Hiwatt logo is missing. So i tell to the pawn shop owner that i would give him 80 bucks for the cab and he tell me yes.

Look the pictures

:D Nice!

Those Fanes are ceramic magnets. Hiwatt in general sounds like clean bell tone. To me, its like a cross between a Black Face Fender and Marshall.

Its a bit hard to find an equivalent Fanes (not sure what Canada carries) but here in the US Fane has a few models Axion and Crescendos, slightly different than your Fanes.

By the way, can you take Justin Beiber back to Canada? He wore out his welcome. We're mad at Usher. :lol:

Latest posts

Back