The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 7:39 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:12 am 
Single Recto

Do you go straight in without OD pedals, and let your amp's crunch and OD do the talking?

What amps and guitars are you using for this? What OD pedals did you sacrifice when you realized your amp sounded pretty good the way it is?

I have changed amps recently and the OD is really good. (One of them is a mint Subway Rocket 44) I felt like my OD pedals were almost in the way. I'm tempted to part with them and just let the amps dot he work. I'll have a couple three fx in the loop (chorus, reverb, delay) but the OD up front is gone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:58 pm 
Dual Recto

I won't buy an amp that requires me to buy auxiliary gear to make it acceptable. If a $2000+ amp can't make the grade on its own then I either need to find something that fits me better or work on my picking.
I currently play an ESP with the het set into a Roadster. No fx, no boosts, gain at 1:00 is borderline overkill.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:09 am 
Mark IV

ryjan wrote:
I won't buy an amp that requires me to buy auxiliary gear to make it acceptable. If a $2000+ amp can't make the grade on its own then I either need to find something that fits me better or work on my picking.

What he said!

AMPS:Mesa/Boogie 2:90+TriAxis; Marshall JVM410H (modded); Marshall 1960A w/V30
FX:BOSS GT-6

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:05 am 
Donating Member

Firebird with 490r and 498t into my roadster can cover most general styles I want, including metal type tones. No od required. I recently bought a keeley mod ts9 to try the "tightening of the low end" trick, not because I need more gain. Same when I run the quad preamp. If it had more gain, it would be too much for me. However, the amps I mentioned are both known for their high gain abilities. I know not all amps include high gain, so boosting those amps makes sense if you have to make it work.

WTB: Modded MTS modules

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:23 am 
Mark II

When I was a young, poor pro-musician I rolled with no pedals.. then I rolled with 2 pedals.. then I rolled with a rack.. then I rolled with no pedals!!! then I rolled with a boss molded 6 pedal thingy that I still have.. great. Now I only write for my friends and 4 walls and find that an assortment of pedals let me tinker with the sound I get for different types of songs.

Having said all this; I love pedals... but I did dig rolling with no pedals! I have a JCM 800 (1988 - 2210 with greenbacks) and a killer Mesa Lonestar 2-12 (EL-34 bstr) Both are ridiculously wonderful.

I wouldn't buy an amp now that didn't sound good naked.. but I do buy it pedals to show it my appreciation for showing me the love.. LoL.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:23 am 
Mark II

*deleted*

Last edited by Dino. on Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:50 am 
Mark III

No OD's
Amps: Roadster Combo, Mark IV Widebody Combo
Guitars: EBMM JPX7, Ibanez RG2228 w/808x's

Last edited by Given To Fly on Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:57 pm 
Donating Member

No O.D. for me and my Mark III. The amp has more than enough gain and pedals seem to add mush when I'm playing metal or classic rock. Pedals and cords suck tone out of the signal path. That said, every song I play sounds like Hendrix. If we play Beatles, Stones, Clapton, etc., I don't look at a sheet so I can change the settings to sound like those bands, I want to sound like Hendrix! I get the songs right as far as the structure and leads go but I don't change the tone to emulate the original sound that said player had. I will turn knobs to get a better tone for that day and stage however. Now, if I was trying to sound similar to the tone that a particular guitarist has, bring on the pedals! Even Hendrix' tone varied from song to song, Metallica same thing, you'd need different pedals to get close to the original tone. I may some day play to emulate, and I'll embrace O.D. pedals, after all, I once said I'd never play wedding$.

Last edited by Markedman on Tue Jan 13, 2015 8:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:19 am 
Single Recto

No need for OD pedal with Mark V or Mark IV. Plenty of compression, drive, distortion, feedback with room for more.

I do have a Boss ME-70. It is okay for use but did not work well with either MKV or MKIV. It does have distortion mode but did not like it much with the amp. I have been looking for effects to see what is available, if it has OD and you can't get away from it, I have no interest. I would prefer my effects to be distortion free and let the amp do the distortion. Same applies for those emulation effects or amps.

Royal Atlantic head , Matching Mesa OS Recto slant 412 (V30)
Royal Atlantic Combo, black face (V30)
Mark V combo (MC90 )

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:25 pm 
Mark II

I've never played any pedal which sounds better than the natural tone of my MkIII, so why would I downgrade? :oops:

I do have a couple of distinctive distortion pedals (not OD) for when I want a totally different flavor, but I rarely use them.

Charvel San Dimas I Koa
B.C. Rich Eagle Evo2/Air Norton
ESP Eclipse EMG 81/60
Carvin DC127 Koa
Ibanez UV7BK
Charvel 475 XL + Exotic
Fender Tele
Carvin C780 A/E

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:32 pm 
Mark III

No OD needed with my Mark V but I find a Tubescreamer ESSENTIAL for my Triple Tec else it just sounds dull and muffled. Rectifier really benefits from an OD IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:42 pm 
Donating Member

I rarely use OD pedals. I have nothing against their use, but I generally don't like the way they feel to play through.

|| J-Bass | Strategy Eight:88 | PH410 ||
|| Les Paul-McCarty-Telecaster | Dual Rectifier | Recto 4x12 ||

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:04 pm 
Donating Member

While there are some excellent OD pedals, I've always thought they lacked a bit in dynamics & tone when compared to the singing sustain of a true tube amp.

Audio Monk custom tube power amp
1X12 Thiele w/ Celestion G12H30
YOUTUBE mesafanintexas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:13 pm 
Mark IV

talltxguy wrote:
I've always thought they lacked a bit in dynamics & tone when compared to the singing sustain of a true tube amp.

Funny you should say so, that was one of the reasons folks used them in the first place - a more powerful input signal led to more clipping going on in the tubes, hence more compression, hence more sustain :)

Well I finally broke my credo of "no ODs" when we visited the studio in mid-august, used an MXR GT-OD into a cranked, and I do mean CRANKED Marshall crunch tone. Heaven. My Mesa still didn't need one though :twisted:

AMPS:Mesa/Boogie 2:90+TriAxis; Marshall JVM410H (modded); Marshall 1960A w/V30
FX:BOSS GT-6

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:06 pm 
Mark IV

To me the OD is just a tool. I can go into an almost breaking up amp, with almost all boost and no gain, and it gets a little fatter... Depends on the pedal. A Dirty Little Secret, OCD, Jetter Helium is AWESOME for it. If I care to turn the amp way up, then I can get that, but if I don't want to blast paint off walls, the driver gets it.

I do agree about boosting a recto. Good move.

Also, it is a gray area, but a graphic EQ in the loop is very effective. If you consider a boost, and like it, a loop EQ is pretty magic for an instant tone shift.

I like a Bogner XTC amp, but I don't want to spend 3700 on the amp. I bought a Bogner Red pedal to get it. Obvious use of a dirt pedal.

Good luck on the tone quest.

JP6, LP, SG, Anderson Pro-Am, Suhr, PRS, Strat, Tele, assorted victims of pentatonic hacking.

Gone - MKV, Single Rectifier, Rivera K-Tre

18 year chip.