Considering a Carvin V3 half stack...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandit2013

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I am looking to get another amp. I already have two Mesa Boogie amps, if I had the extra cash flow I would consider another Mark V half stack, but the cost of the Carvin V3 half stack is approximately half of the cost for the Mark V head alone.

I do like some of the features offered in the most current V3, especially the tail switch for the effects loops. I have found the Carvin guitars to be of excellent quality and workmanship, just wondering how the amps would compare.

I may change my mind later. I have been comparing many different amps and such. Some reviews about the amp were good, however some comments about fasteners used to assemble the amp leaves me with reservations. I will not jump on anything for the moment. I have seen one anniversary mark V combo on ebay that is tempting... I really like my two Mesa Amps, but wanted another half stack that is different than what I already have.

Thanks for the reply. How does the effect loop sound in terms of the tail function? Considering the cost difference, I could save money even if I load one of the 412 cabs with EV's if it is necessary. I am not going to get the V30 option since I had issues with them already in my mesa cab.

I have been looking at alternatives as well as considering if I really need it or just want it. I have been bitten by the amp bug and it is hard to shake.

So far the Mark V is holding its value in my books. However, I am looking for something else that is a bit different. The V3 has all of the options that make it tempting. Also seems like a better deal than a Bugera. I would rather deal with setting the bias than wondering why the amp is not operating. The "infinium"tech in the Bugera is interesting, but is it reliable? It did catch my attention, had some interest in the Magician since it is similar to the Mark IV. I am okay with fixed bias amp such as the MKV and MKIV , I do not mind having to adjust bias with other amps. After owning the Mark V half stack, a combo amp just does not compare, although it is easier to transport.

I have also been considering the little brother to the V3, the V3MC. That small amp sounds awesome. Not sure how limited the resources for tubes will be in the future. I guess that applies to any tube amp. Why the combo? The 2x12 micro stack would sound better, but I am looking for a travel amp that does not rip my arms out like the Mark IV. Even the Bugera Magician would be a bear to move (lost interest in that already, not because it is heavy, since it is almost a clone to the Mark IV = I do not need another one, as well as the uncertainty of the tube life circuit = want something that works, just too new to dive into.)

I have been digging and searching forums, and internet on alternates, and I enjoy more information on my Mesa Amps as well. I have seen countless videos of this and that, would be better if the guitarist could actually play the guitar would make for a better video. Reason why I have not started video logging my amps. One site seems to be interesting, at least he can play guitar better than myself, The Tone King. I did search the site for review on the Mark V, would be interesting.

Latest posts

Back