full stack or half stack with mark v head???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricorocks

Reaction score
Hi All, i just bought a mesa Mark V head and a Recto 4x12 slant cab to go with it... Let me tell you I am lovin' it... now i'm thinkin' to myself, if i am so much in love with a Recto 4x12 halfstack would i prefer or would it be best to add another Recto 4x12 straight cab and have a fullstack???? i never played through a fullstack and would highly appreciate all your advices and experiences. i heard that there is NOT more volume but the perceived volume should be greater due to the 4 extra speakers, thus sound dispersion/spread.. do you guys believe it would be wise to go with a fullstack on a Mark V that's 90 Watts or should i just stick with my Recto slant 4x12 halfstack and push the speakers harder??? thanks all for your great help and support. Rock On... :) :)

A fullstack cranked up is a religious experience.

Here's my opinion after having played through a fullstack for a couple years.

1) Fullstacks are NOT louder than a half stack.
2) You'll be able to hear yourself much easier with a cab that's pointed at your head instead of your knees.
3) Because you're able to hear yourself much easier you'll tend to turn your amp down lower than you would with just a straight 4x12 or 2x12.
4) You'll tend to have a warmer, less icepicky sound than you would if you had just a straight 4x12 or 2x12.
5) Most soundmen will hate you.

You'll notice I said "straight 4x12" above. I hate using straight 4x12s because I can't hear them clearly. They tend to sound way too bassy so people tend to run too much high end to compensate, destroying the audience's ears in the process. I now use a slant 4x12 and have no such issues. In fact, it provides many of the same advantages as the fullstack and doesn't draw quite as much ire from soundmen.

I've played two slant 4 x 12s beside each other. The sound is incredibly thick, beefy, and HUGE, and it sounds as big as a bus! You can get another 4 x 12 for sure but just be warned, you might end up leaving one at home and ditching the other at the rehearsal space. With two guitarists, a fullstack isn't really necessary in my opinion, but they can work well when there's only one guy on six string duty!

screamingdaisy said:
In fact, it provides many of the same advantages as the fullstack and doesn't draw quite as much ire from soundmen.

Geez soundmen! I have my Electra Dyne head with the 1 x 12 extension cab. That's all I'm ever going to use now. At least it doesn't LOOK so menacing!

screamingdaisy said:

^^^^^ This + 100% !!!

When you face the stack and feel the guitar come alive in your hands with controllable feedback and harmonics at extreme volume levels, your playing transforms. I used to love playing gigs during the 80's with a full stack and feeling the power, it is simply unworldly and totally addictive. Everyone who plays rock or metal owes it to themselves to play at least once with a minimum of eight speakers in a stack configuration. I used to run my 50 watt JMP master volume on 10 and preamp volume on 8. It was simply incredible. :twisted:

Thank you all so much for your great help and expertise.. as i said i never played a fullstack so i was not to sure if it was worth the extra cash and rig weight/transportation! so you all think another 4x12 would be a good thing ? ok!! I'LL SERIOUSLY THINK ABOUT IT!!but do you guys think i would also be fine with just the Slant Recto Oversize 4x12??? by the way i am the only guitarhead in our Speed metal Trio... :) :)

screamingdaisy said:
You'll notice I said "straight 4x12" above. I hate using straight 4x12s because I can't hear them clearly. They tend to sound way too bassy so people tend to run too much high end to compensate, destroying the audience's ears in the process. I now use a slant 4x12 and have no such issues. In fact, it provides many of the same advantages as the fullstack and doesn't draw quite as much ire from soundmen.

+1 I've been using a slant 4X12 for over 20 years now. Before that, full stacks. They were big in the '80's, but as another poster said, most times you'll find yourself leaving one at home. Too much to transport and soundmen WILL hate you.

Good topic, I would probably go with the full stack option myself. Since I am no longer in a band, the half stack serves it's purpose just fine. Besides that, I usually sit in a chair in front of the cab so I get the full effect. I need to readjust my playing skill by using a guitar strap and stand up. If I ever get back into the band scene, a chair may not be an option.

screamingdaisy said:
A second cab is a luxury, not a necessity.

^That. I'd still get one if I could tough. Then again, I don't think the full stack would see much gig time since yeah, sound guys will hate you, especially if there's a second guitarist (IME they don't seem to mind it if you're the only one).

Yep. I'll never forget that day. Raining cats and dogs. Completely empty music store during lunchtime. Suddenly the salesman said "Oi, you fancy taking the Plexi out for a walk?", to which I replied with what was probably my most stupid grin to date. Good ol' Marshall 1959SLP. Full stack, two cabs, one slant one straight, filled with Greenbacks. Gibson LP Traditional. Input cable, jumpered channels. EQ knobs full, Volume I full, Volume II around 8 or 9/10. Raw, punchy, dirty yet crystal clear roaring distortion heaven. I've never been the same since :(

Just thought I'd share that to support daisy's argument :D

Jackie said:
Good ol' Marshall 1959SLP. Full stack, two cabs, one slant one straight, filled with Greenbacks. Gibson LP Traditional.

I'm not a Marshall guy, but I must admit that playing through a loud Plexi left quite the impression on me.

I also have to admit that I have a secret desire to own a JTM45 complete with a fullstack full of Greenbacks.

I play thru a Rect 4x12 slant. I'm not in a band anymore. I have my stereo speakers at ear level while standing and when you get back to the sweet spot where the upper 12's in the cab are pointing at your ears, you can ge a pertty decent mix. I would like to get a 4 x 12 straight to put under it but it's not in the budget now. I'm all set for what I'm doing, some may say it's overkill. I say it's fun!! 8)

A lot of groups these days go with the 2x12 and 4x12 combo, give a nice in between mix. Foo fighters do a 4x12 on each side of the stage, they always sound great live.

Back