Need Some Feedback Regarding Marshal JCM 2000 Series

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoismetal

Reaction score
Hello all!

Eventually, I'd like to purchase a Marshall amp to broaden my tone spectrum.

I've been eyeballing the JCM 2000 DSL's & TSL's on eBay and CL. I've seen a few for really good prices.

However, I've been hearing that they're not very reliable pieces of equipment. I'm not entirely sure about that since most of what I can seem to find are review of the amps when they were first introduced.

Anyone care to pitch in with info regarding these amps? Maybe some similar alternatives?

Thanks!

What I've heard about DSL/TSL reliability issues was overheating caused by small trannies. IIRC at least. It's just like any other amp though, some work fine for years, some dud out in weeks.

Wait for the new&improved DSL100H, comes out this year :D
There's also the JVM, or the Vintage Modern. The JVM might be overkill, but I own one and a TriAxis/2:90 rig and I doubt there is a tone I can't get with one or the other or a combination of both :)

Jackie said:
What I've heard about DSL/TSL reliability issues was overheating caused by small trannies. IIRC at least. It's just like any other amp though, some work fine for years, some dud out in weeks.

Wait for the new&improved DSL100H, comes out this year :D
There's also the JVM, or the Vintage Modern. The JVM might be overkill, but I own one and a TriAxis/2:90 rig and I doubt there is a tone I can't get with one or the other or a combination of both :)

Got a link? I can't seem to find any info on this new version.

SonVolt said:
Got a link? I can't seem to find any info on this new version.

Here you go! It's not very descriptive, but that's pretty much all I could find from an original source.

There's some more info in other forums.

http://marshallamps.com/downloads/files/2012-Catalogue-web.pdf

I bought a JCM2000 DSL100 for $600. I wanted a real Marshall and was tired of Brit modes and other wannabe Marshall tones. It is a great amp on the cheap. I have no experience with the TSL. Only heard a few haters. The DSL loves a boost, I use an OCD, and mine gets played 5 days a week usually. No tweaking or dialing, just hit it. And I think the Marshall crunchy mids go great with the Mesa dark mids.

Get a good price and it seems like no way to go wrong. It's not a cork sniffer amp, just an all around good amp that boosts well.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking that I'll wait and see how the new 2012 DLS's perform.

That is unless I can get a great deal on an older model :)

Back