what amp do i want?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaredtkam

Reaction score
I'm looking for an amp, I know the idea of what I want, but I don't know which amp can give me what I'm looking for.
I've got a '85ish stratocaster, s-s-s. Not willing to change guitars, because compared to the les pauls, sgs, mockingbirds, and so on that I've played, this is by far the most physically comfortable guitar I've ever held. Also not willing to replace the pickups, because this was a gift from a friend, something she played growing up, and it has a certain sentimental value, so I don't really want to mod it.
I play alt-rock/pop-punk, A Day to Remember/Paramore/Rise Against/Yellowcard style. Heavy, but obviously not metal. I do both rhythm and lead.
I need at least two channels footswitchable for clean and gain.
Prefer combo, due to living space, but open to separate head and cab (cab would have to be 2 speakers, not enough space for 4).
Enough volume for mid-size venues (at least 50-watt for tube or 100-watt for solid state should do it? That's what i've heard, but i'm no expert, so you tell me.)
Soundwise, clean channel needs the potential to be acoustic-sounding. Like almost if you could mic the strings and just put that through speakers? That kind of "blank" clean.
Gain channel--here's the tricky part i guess--I want a sound that can again hit that rock heaviness, but i want to minimize (or completely eliminate if i can) any gritiness, raspiness, chunkiness, fuzziness etc. I want power with none of that stuff extra. Plus also, I prefer a lot of brightness and clarity, something that can cut through the mix.
$2000 range, i'd go up to 2500, but would like to cap it at 2000 if possible.
Does anyone have suggestions? Thanks.

Electra-Dyne. I've used mine with single coils and it sounds great.

The 27" wide 1x12 combo sounds great. Normally I'm not that big on 1x12s but this one sounds huge (can hold it's own against a 4x12 cab).

Alternatively, the head version into the Recto 2x12 also sounds great.

Welcome to The Board.

It sounds like the Electra Dyne would suit you well. The cleans are simply amazing, as well as the range of dirty tones. Now that I have had the chance to play one it is on the top of my "Next Amp" list.

The only "con" for me is the shared controls. While I had no problems dialing in a clean mode and a dirty mode to switch between live, I felt I was compromising a little with the EQ as opposed to focusing on one or the other.

You can check out some videos on Mesa's website at http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/electradyne/electradyne.html

The TransAtlantic-30 ( http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Transatlantic/transatlantic-TA-30.html#gpm1_2 ) looks interesting also, With power options that might better suit you (EL84 Class A 15W/Class A 30W/Class AB 40W) and two independant channels. 30-40W is plenty for your basic Classic Rock band, but depending on style you might run out of clean headroom when pushing the volume. The "clean" channel has a mode based on the infamous VOX Top-Boost clean tones. I haven't played one (yet), so YMMW.

The Royal Atlantic ( http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Transatlantic/royalatlantic-RA100.html ) appears to be the 100W cousin of the TA-30, and would give you all the clean headroom you should need, as well as channel assignable power soak (attenuators) to bring down the volume of powertube clip.

Dom

Back