Tried a Bogner Uberschall today.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topalchohol

Reaction score
Tried a Bogner Uberschall today at my local GC today. Wasn't my cup of tea as I like tight MK3 tones, but it was still cool. I prefer a Recto for these tones, but I could see some people digging it. I seemed to like the mids cranked on it or it was flubby. Anyone else try one of these?

Nope, haven't tried one yet, though it's definitely on my list, I heard it is supposed to be quite the metal machine.

topalchohol said:
Tried a Bogner Uberschall at my local GC today.

That means "I didn't really try it" in my book. :)

Sorry if I come across as a bit of a smartass/douchebag/both, but I honestly don't think a store tryout can give you a realistic opinion of what an amp is capable of. I "store tried" a Marshall Vintage Modern once (random store guitar, low volume, cheap cable) and it sounded pretty uninspiring, but I returned during the holidays early in the morning when no one was in the store except me and the salesman, brought my own guitar, cables and was able to kick it out - I was like "NOW we're talkin'!" :D

If you were able to spend quality time with it alone, crank it, go through the features, use different guitars, perhaps a boost, some other pedal etc., then I'm sorry for being an *** and I withdraw my statement. :oops:

Yes, I agree that an in store trial is usually completely worthless. I recently tried out a Stiletto Trident that my local store has. At low volume, is was nothing but fizz. Probably sounds great turned up.

I know what you guys are saying, and I did qualify the volume issue. The bottom line is, I have yet to play an amp that has a basic tonal structure that I didn't dig at lower levels or in a guitar store, etc... that then blew me away later. All tube amps sound best at impractical store volumes. This amp is probably great for some people but it is the tonal opposite of a Mesa Mark series, which is "my sound". Not worse, not better, just different. There was no doubt about the quality level of this amp with the clarity, and pristine clean channel. I would describe the tone of the amp as a recto/slo hybrid tone but with tons more gain than either. An example of the gain is if I had my Mark 3 on the lead channel with both gain and input volume on 10, the Bogner would be the same gain at 11 o'clock! After 1 o'clock it gets really compressed. Like I said, I dug it, but I'd probably dig how it sounded better in another player's hands that plays this style of amp. If I had the extra cash, I'd buy it just to see if you guys were right! :lol: I gotta say, a few people who've told me this amp is the turd of Bogners are either tone deaf or probably dimed the gain and ran it at bass 10 mids 0 treble 10 presence 10. If you like Recto's, you'd like this amp. I liked the tone I got when I dimed the mids, gain noon, treble off, bass noon, presence noon. :twisted: :twisted:

Latest posts

Back