Why Dumble?

Non Mesa Boogie amp discussion

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

Markedman
Donating Member

Re: Why Dumble?

Post by Markedman » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:05 pm

I'm surprised you didn't know, Dumble's are worth so much because they're made from "unobtainium."
JP2C, Mark llC++ DG, Mark IV-A/B.

RR
Single Recto

Post by RR » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:41 pm

tonedragon wrote:I always heard the Dumble amps kinda sounded like a silverface and a blackface cranked alitttle, but then you have people say ohhh the cleans.
All the ones I've heard have been recorded and they sound like a fender just breaking up.
I get that they are rare but come on just the same old bassman circuit re-done ...again.
Am I missing something. Cause I could be dead wrong...I mean cause I've never seen one ,let alone heard one live.
FUCHS is kinda like the new dumble as far as artist using them and talking dumble like tones.
Hearing them recorded (Robben Ford, John Mayer, Larry Carlton went with some Dumble clone nowadays), I agree, something like old cranked up Fender with a pre-overdrive or sustainer or compressor stomp box. Personally, the sustain sound over exaggerated. Rather hear an old Fender, Vox, Marshall or Hiwatt. => but that's my opinion. :wink:

Brad737
Mark II

Post by Brad737 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:31 pm

I know most guys love them, but I'm not a huge fan of the recordings I've heard...at least the ones I know are Dumbles. I sure would like to try one though.
Model citizen...Zero discipline

KiwiJoe
Mark III

Post by KiwiJoe » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:10 am

Brad737 wrote:I know most guys love them, but I'm not a huge fan of the recordings I've heard...at least the ones I know are Dumbles.
You didn't say which recordings you've heard, but the following is not what people usually associate with "the Dumble tone" or the style of music that's usually associated with that tone.

This is a Dumble 50W ODS with a true master pilot at the helm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAbbgSKUZB4
My Soundcloud
Mini Rectifier, Epi Dot 335
Once I stopped chasing tone, it stopped running away.