Amp opinions: To Hiwatt or not to Hiwatt

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonicProvocateur

Reaction score
So guys, i've been rolling the Hiwatt tone around in my head for awhile now. Particularly the DR103. But it's kinda like a VOX AC30 imho. It seems to do one thing and one thing very very well. Amazing unique cleans that can break up.

So my question is to you guys who have any kind of Hiwatt experience. Is it worth it for the coin? Are the amps worth the snuff? It seems they are certainly built like tanks. What do they really sound and play like?

Thanks guys!

Everything you said I pretty much had the same experience.

I saw a clip of The Who, Peter Townsend and his SG with Hiwatts stacks behind him and he had this thick fat yet clean sound.

I think Hiwatt do sound like AC30 Vox with more fidelity in the bass region.

The DR series are the real deal. If I recall they have modern models trying to keep up with Today's hi-gain preamp but DR-series is replicates of their vintage amps.

They're expensive and are one-trick poney so purchasing one is a luxary.

If you really like Hiwatt also check out boutique Reeves amps.

I have actually played a newish DR103. Loud. Like, painful, Ampeg V4, barely-usable loud. It seemed like you really needed the volume to get the sort of fullness along with the brightness. It sounded really nice but it was "wtf could I use this for?" If you have one around to try it's worth trying, though.

CoG said:
I have actually played a newish DR103. Loud. Like, painful, Ampeg V4, barely-usable loud. It seemed like you really needed the volume to get the sort of fullness along with the brightness. It sounded really nice but it was "wtf could I use this for?" If you have one around to try it's worth trying, though.
What's its use? Knock birds out of the sky. :lol:

I used a late-70's DR for a couple of years in the early 80's (until the guy who loaned it to me took it back) with a nice assortment of pedals and a Scholtz power soak. It remains something of a benchmark tone for me. I had to go back to my Marshall after returning the Hiwatt. The Marshall sounded harsh and and mushy after the Hiwatt. I sold the Marshall and bought a Mark III.

Wayne

Pass on the Hiwatt. They're not like they used to be.
I went down the same road and found this guy. His name is Mark Huss and knows all things Hiwatt. Contact him at [email protected]. you won't be sorry.
I went instead with the Bogner Custom Shop 20th Anniversary Shiva and LOVE IT.

It truly depends on what you want to do with it. I have owned a few over the years and to me they are MAGIC.

But, you MUST be a person who likes to use pedals and/or effects if you want more than that one sound. It loves pedals. That's part of it's huge appeal to me. I like the 50 watt one a lot. FWIW - to me it's the most reasonable to deal with. You gotta turn 'em up some to "get it". But, if you want great tone at real low volume & versatile features - don't do it.

True. Good point.

Mark III Madness said:
It truly depends on what you want to do with it. I have owned a few over the years and to me they are MAGIC.

But, you MUST be a person who likes to use pedals and/or effects if you want more than that one sound. It loves pedals. That's part of it's huge appeal to me. I like the 50 watt one a lot. FWIW - to me it's the most reasonable to deal with. You gotta turn 'em up some to "get it". But, if you want great tone at real low volume & versatile features - don't do it.

My main rig was a 504 half stack (50 watt) and it was a beast. Personally, I would look for something else unless you are playing large outdoor festivals. Yes they sound like the hand of God, but you really have to wind them up to get the goods (Think 100 watt Plexi) Def, not a bedroom amp, even with a hot plate. If you must have one, look for something used, and plan on getting some good pedals for gain at reasonable levels.

Latest posts

Back