Dr Z Remedy

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scienceguy

Reaction score
Somebody please help me out here... I've never played a Marshall Plexi amp, and I'm in one of those moods. I own a Lone Star Special and a Lone Star Classic and I've swapped out the 6L6s for EL34s to check out the difference.
Don't get me wrong: I love the tones I'm getting out of my Lone Stars, but there's something about the Dr Z Remedy that intrigues me (aside from GASsing for something I don't have).
The nearest one is 3 hours away, so I can't really try one out. Does anyone have any experience with this amp, and how does it compare with the Lone Stars?
Thanks! :)

My friend has a Dr. Z Remedy and it is balls to the wall loud. He bought it with their marketing saying "it's an all original plexi circuit blah blah blah" but it's powered by 2 6V6's and the transformers are old original designs by Ken Fisher (Trainwreck). I'll say this - it sounds like pure clean glassy bliss. It has amazing glassy harmonic overtones you just can't find on a Fender or Marshall without grabbing a Mesa, and a sound all it's own that's super punchy, but no bedroom level breakup for miles without an attenuator. -Loves- pedals though, and great through any cab. While difficult to compare, the Remedy is a non-master volume amp, so it's tones are more in your face at times. On like "barely on" it's like turning your LS to halfway, but on the Remedy halfway up wouldn't see much volume increase, only gain, then your LS is really breathing. The LS will certainly out-gain the Remedy, but the cleans will be a different beast. Both are their own world.

If Plexi tones is what you're after, you could get a small "dime me" head, like the Marshall Class 5, which is something like a Plexi with a touch of JCM800 when on full tilt. Still loud as hell for 5W. My pops has the combo and I run it's external speaker out to my 4x12 and it sounds awesome. Not sure how "plexi" it sounds (I've played a dimed plexi full stack with a Gibson LP Trad and I can say not very much).

There are also clones from companies like Ceriatone. A lot of them include modern features like FX loop etc. Worth cheking out.

Latest posts

Back