Marshall JCM 1936 Cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swbo101

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2 x 12 speaker cab for my Mark IV. I currently have a boogie 4 X 12, but would like a smaller 2 x 12 for gigs that don't require me transporting the larger 4 x 12 and was wondering if anyone has used this cab before and thoughts on it? I know that it loaded with Celestion G12T-75W speakers. I mainly play classic rock, blues and some jazz.

Any thoughts and feedback on this cab would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The JCM900 and JCM2000 ones are made from MDF and sound poor. The JCM800 ones are ply and not so bad. If you're not sure which it is you can easily tell - one input jack = 800; two input jacks = 900/2000.

The 75s aren't really a great speaker for a Mesa either, they're naturally scooped-sounding with a fairly loose bottom end and buzzy top end. Kind of the opposite of the V30. They're quite good for hard rock and metal with a Marshall, but not too much else (in my opinion).

From what Ive known about marshall cabs the ones that come with celestions like the 1936 and the 1960a and b cabs all come with plywood construction but with an MDF back. I have had both and I would suggest getting the mesa 2x12 cab. Its the best way to ensure you get a consistent tone with what you all ready have.

Thanks for all the comments. Looks like I need to check elsewhere. What is the price range of the Mesa 2 X 12 cabs? Anyone know?

Thanks

in the usa they are $620. But remember that is mesa build quality as well as proprietary brittish vintage 30's of which you wont find in any other cab. Even if it has vintage 30's, the mesa versions have some secret sauce and most others are going to be chinese.

purpledc said:
Even if it has vintage 30's, the mesa versions have some secret sauce and most others are going to be chinese.

Well the Marshall's are also supposed to have a secret sauce and are rated 70W, and after A/B comparison of a 1960A with Celestion V30s and 1960AV with "Marshall" Celestion V30s I must say that there is a very small, barely noticeable difference.

Anyway, I think you're better off getting a V30 cab than a cab with G12-T75s regardless of company.

Orange or Avatar make nice cabs :)

purpledc said:
From what Ive known about marshall cabs the ones that come with celestions like the 1936 and the 1960a and b cabs all come with plywood construction but with an MDF back.
No. The 1936 is all-MDF, and the 1960 is ply with a particle-board back. (Not the same thing.)

The 1936 went to MDF at or slightly after the start of the JCM900 series; before that it was also ply with particle-board back. Both types were all-ply in the 1960s and changed to ply with particle-board backs in the early 1970s - '71 for the 4x12"s, about '73 for the 2x12"s, although there is some overlap and you can occasionally find later cabs with ply backs.

swbo101 said:
Thanks for all the comments. Looks like I need to check elsewhere. What is the price range of the Mesa 2 X 12 cabs? Anyone know?

Thanks
Definitely look at Avatar, Whitebox and even Emperor cabs.

domct203 said:
The Avatar Vintage 2X12 is a great cabinet based on the oversized Marshall Blues Breaker design. All plywood construction w/heavy duty side handles.

Dom

I was looking at that on their website, with the V30's. The price was very reasonable. A definite option.

Back