Rewire a VOX cab question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmraco

Reaction score
I have an old VOX 4x12 cab. Right now the input options are a 4 ohm 4x12, 16 ohm 4x12, and two 8 ohm stereo inputs (2x12). I would like to use this in conjuction with my Mini recto and a 1x12 AVATAR I have. The avatar is 8 ohm and I would like to connect it to the VOX and run everyting into my 4 ohm input jack on the head. Obviously I would like to have an 8 ohm (4x12) input on the VOX. I assume thie would be the correct set up...8 ohm + 8 ohm = 4 ohm.

Is there an easy way to re-wire the VOX? Would running the output from my AVATAR into the 16 ohm pose a problem??? I know using the 4 ohm input on the VOX would be a no-no.

Thanks

The speakers in your 4 x 12 cab are 16 ohms each.
Unfortunately, you can't get an 8 ohm cab from four 16 ohm speakers.
You can, however, run the 8 ohm cab and the 16 ohm cab in parallel, for 5.33 ohms, a safe mismatch.
In parallel, an 8 ohm speaker will be louder than a 16 ohm speaker, but that may be mitigated somewhat as the 4 x 12 should sound bigger and fuller than the 1 x 12.

MrMarkIII said:
The speakers in your 4 x 12 cab are 16 ohms each.
Unfortunately, you can't get an 8 ohm cab from four 16 ohm speakers.
You can, however, run the 8 ohm cab and the 16 ohm cab in parallel, for 5.33 ohms, a safe mismatch.
In parallel, an 8 ohm speaker will be louder than a 16 ohm speaker, but that may be mitigated somewhat as the 4 x 12 should sound bigger and fuller than the 1 x 12.

Just to be clear...run a cable from the head to the 1x12, and cable from 1x12 to 4x12.
Should I plug it into the 4 or 8 on the head?

Thanks

Latest posts

Back