HELP ME CHASE THIS TONE!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocknroll9225

Reaction score
I wasn't exactly sure which forum to put this in, so I hope I'm in the right place...

Do any other Avenged Sevenfold fans on here know which amp they used on "Not Ready to Die"? I know they used mostly a combination of Uberschalls and Rectifiers on the pre-Nightmare albums and then switched to Marshall JVM's for Nightmare, but I don't know if they kept the JVM for this song or not. The guitar tone on this song is easily in my top 3 heavy rhythm tones. Specifically, I'm referring the the tone in the outro (6:09 in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKP9RwoTWwE). I have a JVM but I haven't been quite able to nail that tone (I know that I can't, since I don't have Syn's hands), but I'd imagine V30's would help. At the moment, all I've got is G12-T75's in my Marshall cab.

Anyways, any insight as to how he got that tone is welcome.

Actually, you should be closer with the 75's than the V30's which are pretty meaty in the mids.

I don't know the ins and outs of their gear besides that the use Bogners, but I do know they use Seymour Duncan pickups and if you have a Les Paul, your sound is likely way heavier than theirs which is thinner, even with both guitars being mahogany/mahogany neck. I would suggest running your EQ close to the crunchberries Metallica EQ (750 slider almost bottomed out, lots of treble), with lots of treble and presence and presence depth. My hours on a Mark V are limited, but they seem alot thinner to me than my Mark III, so sucking out the mids in Mark IV or Extreme mode seems like it would get you there.

Hearing that tone I'm not sure why you wouldn't want mids in there. Just gotta have the right mids.

A7X uses V30 cabs AFAIK so I think that would help. If you ask me V30s are hard to beat when it comes to metal speakers.

I found some 2010 JVM live settings from a DunlopTV video, maybe you could use that as a starting point?
(settings in 1-10)
OD Channel Orange/Red (says so on the sticker) - that's OD2 for your 410H
Channel Volume: 3
Bass: 6
Middle: a little over 6
Treble: also a little over 6
Gain: about 7.5

No 'verb
Resonance: 6
Presence: 5
Master 1 (Dirty/Rhythm): 4
Master 2 (Lead): 4+ (can't see well)

FWIW I've also seen a lot of Bogner with them lately so it could be that for Not Ready to Die.

I think it's best you fiddle around and find what sounds most "Not Ready to Die" to YOU. You're trying to get a recorded tone that has so many variables before it even hits mixing and mastering that it's mind boggling.

Back