MKIV and Two Rock Owners

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlp1234OCT

Reaction score
Cool board/forum & thanks for letting me post.

Any here who own both Mesa and Two Rock?

Recently got an old Two Rock Amethyst 50W head & after that a Custom Reverb Signature v.2 50W head. The Two Rocks are different sounding critters, but do the cascading preamp stage thing as I'm sure you know. They do sound DIFFERENT. I won't say better, we all know what that would start, so I wont say it.

My other two amps are a 2000yr model MKIV long chassis head which up to now has been my faithful friend through years and years of gigs, open mic jams, band practices, etc ad nauseum. The other is a 2003yr model SLO-100, also a very good amp. It never got as much use as the MKIV, but for certain things it's really fine.

After so many amps, buying/selling/trading I just got tired of it and settled with the SLO & MKIV. Always leaned on the MKIV because it could do so much. Between those two amps, they did the job well. Been happy for many years.

Took a break from playing for two years, and didn't pick up a guitar or turn on an amp. Just lost interest & knew I'd pick it up later.

Would love to hear thoughts and experiences from others out there that have both Boogie and Two Rock. Pretty thick skin here, so lay it on me what ever you feel like.

Don't have a two rock, but do have two Dumble style clones, which is what Two Rock amps basically are. You obviously are well fed in the amp department! My Mesa ia a 2/12 modded Maverick. Not as versatile as your IV, but still covers a lot of tones well. Ever done up much research on the D-style amp thang? Those amps do some things better than just about any others...

212Mavguy said:
Ever done up much research on the D-style amp thang?

Yes I did, and there are some things electrically based on the two rock/d-style preamp that will be modded into my MKIV. The first one I put in, effects the V1 & V2 tone stack, smoothing out the harshness it originally had when driven hard.

I recently sold one of my two MKIV's. It was not modded.

Although electrically and mechanically the MKIV is designed and built VERY WELL, the PCB layout is very crowded, so I have to be very careful, when I make any changes.

I've done my amp maintenance and repairs since I was a teen.

The thing I like about most of the Mesas I've had apart since the 80's is that even though there is a lot packed close in, craft/workmanship is usually VERY GOOD. I've had many amps apart, and fixed and modded lots for myself through the last 31 years. To me, the mesas are still one of the better values for what they are.

Ever played with a Mark V? I'm offloading my Mark IV for it because I'm just so impressed with the amp. Funny enough to me I usually us the Mark IV setting on the V. I can't figure out why but I just can't get the IV to make that sound. I may just not know enough about the IVs but lord I tried to figure it out.

Kenny

How about the Kemper Profiling Amp. It could be a Dumble or Mesa just by listening,

or finding the patches for any amp you want.

Back