Question that probably gets asked a lot..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarshMesa

Reaction score
Alright, forgive me for my ignorance, but I know you guys can answer this for me.

I have both a Marshall and Mesa head and one 2X12 Cab. Is it possible to run both amp heads at the same time into she same cab using the 4OHM jacks from each amp? Or will this fry something?

You didn't state which Marshall cab you have.

If you have a 1936, it does have stereo. They have 2x16ohms speakers wired parallel for 8ohms mono, but in stereo, it's 16 ohms per side, so you need to use the 16 ohms out from each head, that will give you one head per speaker.
I sometimes run my Mesa rig in one speaker and my JVM in the other speaker of my 2x12.

BUT! Bear in mind that the G12-T75s have a power rating of 75W, and your DSL has 100W. So I wouldn't crank the DSL in that configuration, you might blow the speaker. You're fine with the DC3 because it has less than 75W.

oh, it's the 1922 2X12 cab. It has two inputs in the back - 1 for 4-8OHMS and 1 for 8-16 (I think) I'll have to check when I get off of work.

61284_l.jpg

Does it look like the 1922 jackplate in this pic:
48298556_4.jpg

If so, you should be fine if nobody messed with the original wiring. You can test that by plugging one amp into the right/stereo jack, you should only have one speaker working when doing that if it is indeed a true stereo cabinet.

Dom

Thanks.

Just checked and tested my speaker. Yes, it is in stereo and yes it does only come out of one speaker when plugged into the right input.

So, I just want to make sure this is safe:

If I plug my guitar into my Mesa DC-3 head and then slave it out to my Marshall DSL, this will be ok, right? The Marshall has no way to slave that I know of. BTW, I'm playing at bedroom volumes so it's not going to be loud at all.

MarshMesa said:
Thanks.

Just checked and tested my speaker. Yes, it is in stereo and yes it does only come out of one speaker when plugged into the right input.

So, I just want to make sure this is safe:

If I plug my guitar into my Mesa DC-3 head and then slave it out to my Marshall DSL, this will be ok, right? The Marshall has no way to slave that I know of. BTW, I'm playing at bedroom volumes so it's not going to be loud at all.

As long as both amps have speakers connected, yes. Be careful, the slave output can be hot with moderate Output levels. The DC-3 slave out should go into the DSL's FX return.

IMHO you would be much better going thru a quality A/B/Y splitter box.

This is an awesome unit as it's passive, has ground loop isolation, phase correction and a tuner out.
http://www.tonebone.com/re-bigshot-aby.htm

This way you can utilize both amps preamps as well. Should sound great at moderate volumes.

MarshMesa said:
BTW, I'm playing at bedroom volumes so it's not going to be loud at all.
Wow, that's a shame. Those two amps should compliment each other well and sound HUGE at band volumes. My Roadster & MKV together (thru the Radial Big Shot) with two 4X12 Recto cabs will kill small animals w/in 50 yards :twisted:

Dom

Sigh.. I know it's kind of a waste. I bought the DSL 100 when I was young and stupid and I thought I needed 100 watts. However, the DSL does sound very good at bedroom volumes. Of course it sounds better loud, but, I would have the cops here in 5 minutes if I cranked this thing. Can't wait to move out of here later this year. I wanted the DC 3 because I thought it would be a good bedroom volume "quiet" amp. :lol: Sure sounds like more than 35 watts to my ears.

Thanks for your suggestions. I think I will go the switcher route - it sounds safer and easier. I have always wanted to combine my Marshall with a Mesa.

MarshMesa said:
I have always wanted to combine my Marshall with a Mesa.

I sometimes run my TriAxis into my Marshall JVM with a slight poweramp mod (to make it sound&feel like a JCM800), and I must say, it's one of the most MANLY tones ever :mrgreen:

I once played a Triaxis at the Mesa Hollywood store. It was a lot of fun and is probably the most versatile Mesa I've ever played. Probably would be my ideal amp too, but I've always been a tradition "head" amp kind of guy. The employees were also super helpful and courteous, which made a lasting impression from the company.

Two more questions for you experts:

1. Is it possible to pull 2 of the power tubes without damaging the amp? I've read Mesa's can do this sometimes as all mesa's are fixed bias.

2. Is there any significance to the color of the jewel on the DC series? I'm yet to find another one with a red jewel like mine on the net. Seems like everyone got blue except for me.

Thanks,

B

1.) Yeah you can do that, but I wouldn't IMO. I have folks over at the JVM forum that pulled tubes from their 410 to make it a "405" and more often than not folks return to the full 100W. There isn't a huge decrease in volume and with a poweramp as clean as the boogie's, you won't notice much effect on the headroom either (unless you dime your amps all the time)

2.) Can't help you there, sorry. :)

:( Not much difference huh? Well, I might try it - just wanted to make sure it was safe. I was told this was not safe to do with my Marshall.

Thanks Jackie!

No prob!

MarshMesa said:
I was told this was not safe to do with my Marshall.

Who the hell told you that? :?
I dunno, maybe I'm talking **** but AFAIK all you gotta watch out for is the proper load - the load is also cut in half, as is the wattage when you pull two tubes.

I read it somewhere on a Marshall forum a long time back. I was considering pulling two of my EL 34's to make the amp sound better at lower volumes, but some guys were talking about how this could damage the amp, so I didn't do it.

If I could relive my life again, one thing I would have done differently was purchase a DSL 50 instead of the 100. :lol: Very few people really need 100 watts, and I certainly don't.

I was thinking about getting the JVM205 instead of the 410, but after playing some 50W heads, I decided I like the boldness of the 100 watters. IMO they punch a little harder and stay a little cleaner if you use a little more gain.

Back