Need to buy a tube/tubes as a gift for a tone junkie

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ketiov

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm the kind of player that likes clear distortion and really little else matters. I don't notice nuance differences in tone.

I have a teacher that is a total tone junkie, and I thought it would be cool to buy him some sweet sounding NOS tube for his Vox AC30. I need to buy him a thank you gift for writing me a college recommendation and this seems like a better idea than a Starbucks giftcard or something like that.

He loves classic rock, he's not really a metal head like me. He loves this band called The Hellacopters, they've been his favorites for a few good years now, just so you can gauge what kind of tones he likes.

ketiov said:
Hey guys, I'm the kind of player that likes clear distortion and really little else matters. I don't notice nuance differences in tone.

I have a teacher that is a total tone junkie, and I thought it would be cool to buy him some sweet sounding NOS tube for his Vox AC30. I need to buy him a thank you gift for writing me a college recommendation and this seems like a better idea than a Starbucks giftcard or something like that.

He loves classic rock, he's not really a metal head like me. He loves this band called The Hellacopters, they've been his favorites for a few good years now, just so you can gauge what kind of tones he likes.

what kind of budget did you have in mind?

topcat0399 said:
ketiov said:

what kind of budget did you have in mind?
Maybe up to like 50 bucks?

You might want to see if he has a few of something already that he likes. Sometime those tone junkies can be particular :). Wouldn't want to drop $50 on something only to find out he has that and doesn't like them, or something like that.

blazer986 said:
You might want to see if he has a few of something already that he likes. Sometime those tone junkies can be particular :). Wouldn't want to drop $50 on something only to find out he has that and doesn't like them, or something like that.
He says he's running the stock set :) Vox AC30 Custom Classic. I don't know if this is the newer reissue or what.

Try to find a vintage Mullard shortplate 12ax7, does not have to be NOS, vintage used is good!Also Amperex 12ax7 shortplate, RFT 12ax7, Raytheon black plate 12ax7 w/Baldwin (organ company) yellow label. These will all sound nice in that amp. Make sure that the gift tubes are not microphonic. This is a start. Others will help here...

Peace

PS this is a list of best of best affordable vintage tubes for that amp IMO...

sylvania long grey plate is a pretty juicy tube as well, and not all that expensive.

Back