Axe-Fx II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadifier

Reaction score
the Axe-Fx II is now available. This is what the countdown was about.

Pics and Info on the II
I wonder how low the prices will go on the axe fx ultra and standard.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-fas-axe-fx-ii-2.html

I called my buyer* and just put a down payment on one. I, surprisingly, did not like the Axe-Fx Ultra for various reasons (thoroughly documented throughout these boards). However, it seems like Fractal took my feedback and made some serious improvements. If it lasts more than 6 hours than I will keep it this time.

***In haste I originally stated that I called Fractal. This is incorrect.***

Holy ****! I sold my Axe standard only two weeks ago. I wonder how much the value of that unit tanked today. Glad I got whilst the gettin was good.

ryjan said:
Holy sh!t! I sold my Axe standard only two weeks ago. I wonder how much the value of that unit tanked today. Glad I got whilst the gettin was good.

Speaking of which, I also just picked up an Axe standard for about $800.

MesaGod666 said:
ryjan said:
Holy sh!t! I sold my Axe standard only two weeks ago. I wonder how much the value of that unit tanked today. Glad I got whilst the gettin was good.

Speaking of which, I also just picked up an Axe standard for about $800.
Sweet deal man! I sold mine for $1500. 8) The guy that bought mine said it was a good deal because he didn't have to wait or pay shipping. Between that and the power amp that he also bought from me I had just enough to buy my Splawn Nitro halfstack.

I was watching ebay last night, and at 10:00, there was one axe fx ultra, then this morning, there are 15! They are selling them for 1,800 dollars. For 400$ more, they could buy the axe II... People should of sold them when the countdown started for 1,800 the buy then axe II once it comes out. If the countdown wasn't about a new axe, people could of just bought a different axe for the same price, instead of waiting until the new one is released, then the sales will take a noise dive...

I can't believe how lucky I am. I had my standard for 4 months and finally decided that for my use a halfstack was better. I ended up selling it for the price of a new one. :lol: Someone on this board said it best once. In 20 years no one will be trying to model the Axe-Fx.

ryjan said:
I can't believe how lucky I am. I had my standard for 4 months and finally decided that for my use a halfstack was better. I ended up selling it for the price of a new one. :lol: Someone on this board said it best once. In 20 years no one will be trying to model the Axe-Fx.
:lol: :p

The Axe Fx Standard & Ultra employed 24 bit 48 kHz conversion with a dynamic range of 105 dB. I wonder if the AXE II will use the same sampling rate? I understand that it uses excellent components and that the algorithms are top notch. But surely, an AXE - even with its superior components and superb algorithms - would sound even better with 96 kHz sampling?

From the descriptions on the Fractal webpage, it would appear as though the dynamic range will be improved as Fractal brags about how the II will be quieter than the original AXEs. The Lexicon PCM 92 samples at up to 96 kHz as does the Eventide Eclipse. And the dynamic range of the Lexicon (112 dB) and the Eventide (108 dB) are superior to the original AXEs. I'm curious to see what the dynamic range of the II is.

Anyway, I'm happy to see that Fractal is continually developing their products. Don't know how happy Digitech or Line 6 will be upon hearing about the II though. :lol: Digitech & Line 6 better get going on their amp modelling! Jeez, the original AXE just killed both Digitech and Line 6 from what nearly everybody said! No telling how bad the II will make the wanna-be modellers look. 8)

Roadifier said:
I was watching ebay last night, and at 10:00, there was one axe fx ultra, then this morning, there are 15! They are selling them for 1,800 dollars. For 400$ more, they could buy the axe II... People should of sold them when the countdown started for 1,800 the buy then axe II once it comes out. If the countdown wasn't about a new axe, people could of just bought a different axe for the same price, instead of waiting until the new one is released, then the sales will take a noise dive...

I would not pay any more than $800 for any used digital preamp. No matter how awesome. What these folks are going to realize is that the Axe-Fx is really a glorified Line 6 POD. Ha. Shiiiyea. Trolled 'em.
coolface-446.jpg

24 Axe-Fx's on ebay! There's typically 1 or two and that's always the same jackass who buys Ultras just to re-sell them for an extra $200. And man are they pissed on the fractal forum. :lol: I didn't call Randy Smith crying about my recent purchase of my Mark IV when the V was announced.

ryjan said:
24 Axe-Fx's on ebay! There's typically 1 or two and that's always the same jackass who buys Ultras just to re-sell them for an extra $200. And man are they pissed on the fractal forum. :lol: I didn't call Randy Smith crying about my recent purchase of my Mark IV when the V was announced.

I love Randall Smith. That is all.

Remember...DO NOT PAY MORE THAN $800 for a used glorified POD.

MesaGod666 said:
ryjan said:

+1

I am waiting until they get down to 300$ 8)

But some guy on ebay payed 2700 for a used ultra... :lol: :roll:

Roadifier said:
MesaGod666 said:
ryjan said:

+1

I am waiting until they get down to 300$ 8)

But some guy on ebay payed 2700 for a used ultra... :lol: :roll:

WTF?!?!
:lol:

There is a sucker born every minute.

Never heard of being able to call and put a downpayment on a Axe Fx thought they could only be ordered thru the website. Can you post the phone number to call did not see one listed on the website. I have to disagree about it being a glorified line 6, they are nowhere close to the same league. The axe Fx does require a investment of your time and most that don't like them did not do that. I was a non believer till I ordered a Ultra unit and invested the required hours (more than 6) of learning. At first I hated it and was sending it back then decided to give it more attention since it can do all I ever wanted a amp plus effects to do. I had to open my mind up and accept that maybe something without tubes can sound good also. Why did you order a new Axe Fx II then slam the product a few posts later. If someone can get a axe for $800.00 better jump all over it since don't think you will see many for that price even the standard model till a few more years pass.

JLBoogie said:
Never heard of being able to call and put a downpayment on a Axe Fx thought they could only be ordered thru the website. Can you post the phone number to call did not see one listed on the website. I have to disagree about it being a glorified line 6, they are nowhere close to the same league. The axe Fx does require a investment of your time and most that don't like them did not do that. I was a non believer till I ordered a Ultra unit and invested the required hours (more than 6) of learning. At first I hated it and was sending it back then decided to give it more attention since it can do all I ever wanted a amp plus effects to do. I had to open my mind up and accept that maybe something without tubes can sound good also. Why did you order a new Axe Fx II then slam the product a few posts later. If someone can get a axe for $800.00 better jump all over it since don't think you will see many for that price even the standard model till a few more years pass.

Thanks for your post JL and you make some fair points. Yes. I only spent 6 hours with the tool. At the time, I needed something that was going to blow my socks off in the same fashion that my Mark V and Triaxis/2:Ninety did...but it didn't happen. So, I unashamedly sent it back, wrote a bluntly honest review, and bought a couple of Palmer PDI-03 Speaker Sims instead. I have a buyer that purchases my gear for our band and he takes care of most of my bands collective gear acquisitions. As soon as I heard and subsequently read about the Axe-Fx II, I called him up and told him to buy one for me as soon as he can get his hands on it...and no you cannot have his number.

So why would I purchase something I did not enjoy in the first place? Well, since my unfavorable review of the Axe-Fx, my circumstances have changed a bit. I added 2 children to my brood and now have need of the ability to track studio quality guitar tones in the comfort of an apartment as I no longer own a home with a studio. The vast majority of the industry folks I have talked with utilize the Axe-Fx (or other digital modeling software similar to it like Guitar Rig 5) to satisfy their need for silent yet powerful guitar tracking needs. I am still not totally convinced that it will meet my live performance needs, however, I am willing to give it another shot specifically for the studio. I've got nothing to lose and I need to start writing the next REDSKY album anyway so I feel like this is a good opportunity to see what this can do. Plus, I'll have the time to sit and tweak with it.

I'm not convinced the Axe-Fx is an investment. As with all digital gear, it becomes obsolete every 3-4 years or so. My boogies still maintain much of their value and will probably continue to do so for quite sometime. Don't get me wrong, I'll throw Boogie under the bus all day because I think their rectifier amps sound like pure crap, yet I own, love, and praise them for their work on their cabs, Mark amps, Triaxis preamps, and 6l6 poweramps. If the Axe II lives up to the hype, I'll champion it for sure...but I am very weary of all digital modelling processors and I will absolutely punish this thing if it fails to live up to my expectations. However, from what I have read the Axe II looks like a major improvement and I will actually have the time to thoroughly examine it this time around.

I still think the Axe-Fx Ultra sounds like a POD HD.

Boy was I hoping you had a direct phone number for Fractal so I could order mine. It probably took me a couple weeks of working with my Ultra unit before I even began to like it. Most of the presets that come on it I find to be overprocessed to show its capabilities and try to sound like you are playing in a large arena with your guitar amp miked. Line 6 units I have had tried do the same thing so I can see the comparision in that respect. I go for the amp in the room sound so I pretty much started from scratch on the presets. I do use a Engl tube power amp and Mesa speaker cabs so I turn off the power amp and cab sims in the unit. Fractal seems to have listened to many voices along with mine and yours on what a upgraded model should include and are introducing the Axe Fx II. It looks like it will be a huge seller for them even at its big pricetag.

Back