Fender Prosonic

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptrd

Reaction score
Im looking at one on CL. Good price. Everything ive read about them really has my GAS going. Though all the clips ive found are TGP style blues/jazz clips. Ive read this is fenders version of a dual rectifier. Any truth to this? Anyone have any experiance with the Prosonic?

droptrd said:
Im looking at one on CL. Good price. Everything ive read about them really has my GAS going. Though all the clips ive found are TGP style blues/jazz clips. Ive read this is fenders version of a dual rectifier. Any truth to this? Anyone have any experiance with the Prosonic?

One of Fenders biggest mistakes and not even close to a dual rectifier. Save your money and buy a good Pro or Super Reverb depending on your needs and use the volume control on your guitar.

BobL said:
droptrd said:

One of Fenders biggest mistakes and not even close to a dual rectifier. Save your money and buy a good Pro or Super Reverb depending on your needs and use the volume control on your guitar.
I was looking at it for the high gain ch not for classic fender tones.

No good though?

I've got one (head) and they kick a$$ for hi gain face melting distortion. The clean is pretty good too.

I prefer it any day over the fizzle / sizzle rectifier distortion. Cleans are comparable, although I give the edge to the Prosonic.

The only reason I am considering selling mine is that it is way too loud, the distortion only sounds good at high volumes.

They didnt sell very well because people thought Fender couldnt possibly come up with a good sounding hi gain amp. But when you have Zinky working for you.... you can.

droptrd said:

Prosonic? The one with the transistor preamp and a couple of out put tubes? 2x12 combo? Comes in blue??

Our other guitarist used one for a long time. No one in the band was ever impressed by it.

We continually urged him to ditch it; which he finally did. He bought a Mesa 5:25 Express (12 inch) and life is so much sweeter for every one. He even ditched all his crappy sounding pedals!

topcat0399 said:
droptrd said:

Prosonic? The one with the transistor preamp and a couple of out put tubes? 2x12 combo? Comes in blue??

Our other guitarist used one for a long time. No one in the band was ever impressed by it.

We continually urged him to ditch it; which he finally did. He bought a Mesa 5:25 Express (12 inch) and life is so much sweeter for every one. He even ditched all his crappy sounding pedals!

Wrong amp, the prosonic is all tube. :)

As far as I know they never came in blue. They came in black, red and some sort of ugly green.

I played on one of the ugly green ones at a shop not too long ago.....just OK is what I came away with. The hi gain tones were close to likable though, I wondered if it just needed re-tubing. Overall, I'd take my old Super Reverb though...all I used was one good OD pedal and I was happy in toneland. 8) I traded it up for my Stiletto a while back...kinda been thinkin' about getting another one.

Cool thanks for the replies guys. Im still on the fence about it. I think Ill meet up with the guy and give it a try. $500 is cheap for an amp as far as Im concerned. Im looking for a new amp cause Im getting bored with my Mark III lately. My Tverb has LDR issues and cant be trusted at a gig. I sold my 5150 last winter and Ive been cryin ever since. People are crazy for asking what theyre asking for 5150s lately. $900-$1000 for a block letter? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: $750-$850 for a Sig head? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So ill probably go for the fender here in a few days....unless anyone has a 5150 they want to sell me for under $600? :p

These Mesa Boogie shills that are bagging on the prosonic are clueless. The prosonic is a badass little amp. . .and mine is sitting between a 64 twin and a 65 super reverb, so I know fender tone. The prosonic is like a modern super reverb with an extra gain stage rather than vibrato. The clean channel has great tube break up at high volume- like a blackface fender except it breaks up more (with hot pickups, you can get it feeding back when you dime the clean channel) and the quality of the breakup is better. The gain channel is cool, but it sounds best (like most high gain amps) running a distortion pedal through the clean channel.

Anyone who says the prosonic is a bad amp, or that it doesn't have great tone, is a complete idiot and their opinion should be disregarded.

magnificentbastard said:
These Mesa Boogie shills that are bagging on the prosonic are clueless. The prosonic is a badass little amp. . .and mine is sitting between a 64 twin and a 65 super reverb, so I know fender tone. The prosonic is like a modern super reverb with an extra gain stage rather than vibrato. The clean channel has great tube break up at high volume- like a blackface fender except it breaks up more (with hot pickups, you can get it feeding back when you dime the clean channel) and the quality of the breakup is better. The gain channel is cool, but it sounds best (like most high gain amps) running a distortion pedal through the clean channel.

Anyone who says the prosonic is a bad amp, or that it doesn't have great tone, is a complete idiot and their opinion should be disregarded.

I resemble that.

Back