I've waited several years for this.... Axe-FX Std. inbound!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deaj

Reaction score
I have wanted to give the Axe-FX a go since first reading about it 3-4 years ago. I've not acted on it though - mostly because of a lack of time to invest in discovering its potential and configuring it for my use.

Due to a disabling health condition I suddenly find myself with some time on my hands. There are more downsides than not here to be sure. I have an arthritic condition that has me currently not working. This also limits how much / how often I can play guitar - significantly so (currently playing little more than 15-30 minutes per week). There are other limitations as well. No fun but it is what it is.

It occurred to me lately that, while I can't play guitar for very long I can push buttons and turn a scroll wheel and/or drive a mouse. I enjoy doing just what the Axe-FX offers - I like deep editing, tweaking parameters, etc, I like doing so when I have the time to burn. Otherwise it just gets in the way. Well, I just happen to have time to burn at the moment.

The Axe-FX has been a back-burner priority for several years now, enough so that I haven't given it much thought recently. When I saw the very positive response to Avid's recently released expansion pack for the Eleven Rack I found myself suddenly intrigued by unit. I asked a few questions on this and other forums, did a lot of reading, and started listening to demo recordings - which, of course, led to demos of the Axe-FX and comments/discussion comparing the two. I was contemplating spending the necessary $700 + $100 for a new 11R and the expansion pack when this curiosity began but I find that I very much prefer the audio and video demos of the Axe-FX. I put the brakes on and thought about it for a few days.

Taking time to think about this was a good idea. The Axe-FX is a lot more money (more than I'd been considering spending) but it's not outside my means. It's also not a recent curiosity. I've been following Fractal's development progress over the last few years and listening to demos along the way with the intent of acquiring one eventually. Why not now?

I placed my order this morning. This should be fun! I ordered an Axe-FX Standard. After much research and thought the Standard appears to be the right fit (I don't use a lot of effects, I'm not interested in complex dual-amp rig emulations, and I won't be using this unit as an outboard effects unit for post processing).

I'm pretty excited about this. I've been patiently waiting for the right time to do this (not knowing if or when that would happen). Though I wouldn't choose to trade my health for a digital modeler I am excited to finally get the opportunity to finally try one of these things for myself.

More to come....

You are going to love that Axe FX. Thats a promise. I thought about for over a year, too. It was my dissatifaction with my tube amp situation that finally led to the Axe.

I gone to the FRFR route. Two QSC K12's. Unbelievable tone and sensitivity. It acts just like an amp!

I too had to have a tube amp and guitar speakers to drive the Axe Fx in the beginning. But I finally realized I was just herding myself into another corral. (Amp type, tube type, guitar speaker type). As good as it may have sounded for THAT TYPE of sound - it led you farther away from obtaining other sounds. The FRFR route is wide open - you just have to accept the paradigm shift that must take place inside your own head. Plug a electric, acoustic guitar, bass guitar - hell, I used it as a vocal processor into a DAW. Incredible versatility.

I was a total tube freak for over 30 years. It took awhile to be able to let it go. I have a Fryette 2/50/2 pushing two 2x12 cabs. It sounds good but I'm going to that less and less. The super clean and wide open sound field of the K 12's is a blank sonic palette for getting so many other tones.

Its a whole new journey, give it time, don't jump to conclusions too soon. Oh, and beware of the Fletcher-Munson effect! It bit me early and often! If you create your patches at a conversational level and then crank it later - the bass can be boomy and the treble too strong.

Back