Sell Mesa triple rec 2 channel, buy 3 channel dual rec?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gabegonzale

Reaction score
my mesa triple rec 2 channel, should i sell for 1k , i paid 850. the pilot lamp doesnt work but the amp works perfectly. Ive heard the 3 channels have a better effects loop and i want a dual rec , because it has the 50 watt setting i believe, and a better effects loop and has 3 channels and less tubes to worry about replacing, and also dont have to crank up as loud. ive also heard the 3 channels are more scooped, and i want more of a thick sound.. opinions?

You really have to play and compare the two of them. It's a tough call depending on your needs. I for one had the older 3 channel head DR but prefer the 2 Channel TR, for my needs I don't need an effects loop and the wattage doesn't bother me and last but and most important thing is that channel switching in the 2 channels are latancy free, very quick and quiet poping noise as oppose to the 3 channel which there was not only loud popping but slower on their channel switching.

gabegonzale said:
my mesa triple rec 2 channel, should i sell for 1k , i paid 850. the pilot lamp doesnt work but the amp works perfectly. Ive heard the 3 channels have a better effects loop and i want a dual rec , because it has the 50 watt setting i believe, and a better effects loop and has 3 channels and less tubes to worry about replacing, and also dont have to crank up as loud. ive also heard the 3 channels are more scooped, and i want more of a thick sound.. opinions?
I wouldn't do it. 50w setting means nothing since you need to crank the amp up twice as loud to clear out some fizz. Even then, the 3ch models don't sound as good as the older ones do.

Sounds like you need a 2ch Dual Rec with an FX loop mod. It's VERY easy to convert the 2ch FX loop (parallel) to the new 3ch's configuration (series), and if you're not comfortable doing it yourself, it might take a qualified tech 10mins on the high side.

The circuit on the new Recs just doesn't sound as good as the older models.

Try a Multi-Watt Dual Rec up against your Triple (if you can afford a *New* head). These are voiced a little different than the older 3 channels (I came from an older 3 channel Triple to what I have now - in siggy below-). It also has a series fx loop like yours probably does, rather than parallel (older 3 channels), which is preferable in most cases, seemingly. It all comes down to your ears and what you will be happy with though. I mainly prefer the 3 channels for the tone flexibility because I use both overdrive channels and still need a GOOD clean live (another thing the new Multi-Watts excel in over most previous regular series Rectos, a.k.a. non-RK or Roadster models), and now I also use the multi-watt and recto-tracking switches to get different sounds on different channels.

-AJH

I went from 2 channel Dual --> 3 channel Dual --> Roadster --> 2 channel Triple.

Go wherever your ears take you...

If I was to get another Recto I would get one of the "reborn" ones, but I would keep my 2 channel.

I had a TR. Didn't like what it lost at high volumes. I moved on to a racktofier and really would like to get a Roadster. I would be a Reborn DR would fit the bill nicely for the effects loop consideration. Happy hunting.

Kenny

Back