Good amp for home-playing

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ytse_jam

Reaction score
hi, i'm gonna sell my Line6 Spider 112 (series I) and buy a new amp for playing at home, while i'll use my mesa studio preamp only when playing with the band, in studio or live...despite of what many people say, my opinion is that line6 sounds quite good at low volumes (even if thin, harsh, ugly and terrible when crancked, not usuable at all when playing with the band), but i could get a nice tone only on higher gain channels, while lower gain and clean channels were awful even at low volumes (can't get a really clean tone, it sounded too digital)... so i want an amp which sounds good at very low volumes, with good and usuable cleans and raw overdrive tones but mainly with a great fat distortion. What do you suggest? A friend of mine owns a Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX and i think it sounds just wonderful at low volumes (very very much better than my line6 even at higher volumes though). It's a hybrid amp (digital preamp, valve/solidstate poweramp), so the digital preamp (!!potentially!!) includes all the tones and effects you could be searchin' for...So, there's an AD60VTX (same model as the AD120VTX, but w/ one 12" speaker instead of two) for sale in a store not so far from me, so i would like to know what you think about this amp and eventually suggest others!

I love the AD60VTX..when you say sale...is it like $600-650?
I A/B'd it with my ROV combo and it was 80-90% the tone quality with much more versatility. Mind you, at store volumes and not gig level, which is where Mesa's shine.

ytse_jam said:
.So, there's an AD60VTX (same model as the AD120VTX, but w/ one 12" speaker instead of two) for sale in a store not so far from me, so i would like to know what you think about this amp and eventually suggest others!

ytse_jam,

Are you looking for just a clean tube amp, or a modelling amp, or an amp with effects for your home stuff?

If you're looking for a simple tube amp, you might want to take a look at a Fender Blues Jr., which is class A. At low volumes you can get a pretty nice clean out of it and a decent reverb. Used you can pick them up for $225-$300. MF has them new for $399.

the AD60VTX costs 600 euros, which should be around $700... all i want is versatility, even if i play mainly heavy stuff, and most important it should sound well at very low volume. For these reason i was searching for a modeling digital amp. Valvetronix series have got a digital preamp. The power section is totally analogue but hybrid, in fact it use two 12AX7s (yes, in the poweramp!) and a solidstate support (not digital). I've heard this amp and i can really say that this poweramp technology gives the sound more warmness and richness.

YT. I owned one for about a week. For at home practise it was terrific. I was able to get Satriani like tones on the US HiGain setting for leads and the clean models sounded great. The Recto sound was pretty authentic although I don't think the tone controls worked the same as with a Mesa. I use the Vox Tonelab desktop for recording and couldn't be happier with the sound.

ytse_jam said:
the AD60VTX costs 600 euros, which should be around $700... all i want is versatility, even if i play mainly heavy stuff, and most important it should sound well at very low volume. For these reason i was searching for a modeling digital amp. Valvetronix series have got a digital preamp. The power section is totally analogue but hybrid, in fact it use two 12AX7s (yes, in the poweramp!) and a solidstate support (not digital). I've heard this amp and i can really say that this poweramp technology gives the sound more warmness and richness.

I just play my Mark IV at home on triode, class A, tweed power settings and I still get good tube sound. I can still flip switches and play live too though it takes a little knob tweaking to get the tone right once the changes are made but that is expected.

Russ said:
I just play my Mark IV at home on triode, class A, tweed power settings and I still get good tube sound. I can still flip switches and play live too though it takes a little knob tweaking to get the tone right once the changes are made but that is expected.
hi Russ, if i had money i would surely buy a MKIV combo. The problem is that here in italy it costs around 3200 euros new ($4000), and you can't find it used under 1500 euros.

look also at the tech 21 trademark combos, i think they make a 30 watt one. they are modeling amps but use 100% analog technology i believe, have great reviews also

anyone here could tell me waht's the difference between Vox Valvetronix VT and VTX series?maybe that new poweramp technology?

Closed back cab with NEOdog Celestions and supposedly a slight change to the design. I tried both and found the VTX to be better and if nothing else, newer.

ytse_jam said:
anyone here could tell me waht's the difference between Vox Valvetronix VT and VTX series?maybe that new poweramp technology?

I'd give a try to the Roland Micro Cube.

It sounds amazingly good, even direct to tape, it's small and quiet and it doesn't cost a fortune.

I have been using a Vox ADVTH (60 watt head version equivalent to the VTX series....has the selectable power ratings) for about 2 years now. It's been my main gigging amp, and I've been very happy with it.

There are some tricks to make them sound better, especially with the higher gain models.

I'm not saying it sounds like my Roadster....but it doesn't suck. I found it used for $250. I still use it as my backup/bedroom amp. On the 1 watt setting, it gives you the feel of valves at bedroom volume.

ytse_jam said:
Russ said:
hi Russ, if i had money i would surely buy a MKIV combo. The problem is that here in italy it costs around 3200 euros new ($4000), and you can't find it used under 1500 euros.

If you don't need brand new...what's wrong with old Bogen amplifiers? they are usually on ebay for under $100! Point-to-Point wiring and NOS tubes (often enough) should make you think twice! OR... don't they have Sovtek Midget 50s in Italy? those should be good for the money! well, good luck to you, you should not have to spend too much money for great tone (( or maybe you can search the old country for some antique merchandise ))

Little solid state ? nothing beats the Tech 21 trademark 10 .
Tube Subway rocket Reverb :D :D :D

Back