any love for Randall MTS RM100?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

konstantine RK

Reaction score
Just want to hear some positive reviews about this head

IMG_4731.jpg

I own the Randall RM100KH, which is basically a tweaked version of the standard RM100. More low end on the density control and runs on 6L6s. Pretty good head. Mine still works. Still not as good as a Mesa Boogie though. Not as big sounding or as open my Mesa Boogies either. It's hardly to explain, but my Boogies still have that singing like quality, even with the volume on the guitar turned down. The RM100KH doesn't have as much of that quality, even with the XTC module...

Cool.. the guy at US Music Corp said the KH was about 1-2 db louder.. My RM100 was supposed to make me want to sell my Roadking but so far it's not even close. Im either to sell it for half of what I paid for it or keep it.

Its been in the shop for almost 3 months because warranty repairs are not honored at Midwest Audio in Arlington Hts IL.

Goodtime Music came to the rescue!

I had the Randall RM100 for about 5 years (sold it 2.5 years ago) It was a good amp, i liked the option of changing different modules. I also owned a RM50 and had most of the modules that were available (brown, plexi, recto, xtc, modern, ultra, ultra lead, tweed, blackface, jtm, 1086, clean, top boost). I love the concept and had this amp longer then any other amp i have owned.

Mine was fairly reliable, i had to have the midi phantom power fixed once and a bad ground solder a week after i got it. 2 of my friends also have had to get the phantom power fixed and the one currently needs to take his in for repair (keeps blowing fuses)

Overall i think its a pretty solid amp and sounds good, but i def prefer my Mark IV which has more clarity and character. I sold the RM100 and bought the Mark IV on a whim and havent looked back since

reilly said:
I had the Randall RM100 for about 5 years (sold it 2.5 years ago) It was a good amp, i liked the option of changing different modules. I also owned a RM50 and had most of the modules that were available (brown, plexi, recto, xtc, modern, ultra, ultra lead, tweed, blackface, jtm, 1086, clean, top boost). I love the concept and had this amp longer then any other amp i have owned.

Mine was fairly reliable, i had to have the midi phantom power fixed once and a bad ground solder a week after i got it. 2 of my friends also have had to get the phantom power fixed and the one currently needs to take his in for repair (keeps blowing fuses)

Overall i think its a pretty solid amp and sounds good, but i def prefer my Mark IV which has more clarity and character. I sold the RM100 and bought the Mark IV on a whim and havent looked back since

Phantom power? What's that all about? Care to enlighten a n00b on that???

the power for the footswitch that runs through the 7 pin midi cable (i guess its not really phantom power but rather just a powered line, my bad)

reilly said:
the power for the footswitch that runs through the 7 pin midi cable (i guess its not really phantom power but rather just a powered line, my bad)

Oh, how did you fix that? Mine can't power up via the amp, and I always have to use a wall wart to power it up. Lame...

mine was under warranty, so i had them fix it. Randall will send you the fuse, but it needs soldered in (kinda odd) but thats how it is set up. I sure i could have done it myself. If you ask on the randall forum they can tell you exactly where it is. The rule of thumb is never plug in or unplug the midi cable when the amp is on doing so can result in the power in the midi to stop working

i dont have any personal experience with it, but the whole idea of amp modules seems gimmicky to me. with all the different modules to buy, i'd feel like i was collecting pokemon cards or something. :oops: idk the modules makes it feel less like an amp head and more like a toy. and of course you cant buy an amp and have it do what you want; you have to buy the separate modules to personalize it first. seems like a pretty good marketing idea.

no disrespect to anyone using them. just my thoughts.

The Randall RM100 MTS head has MIDI in out and thru in the back... the MIDI shut down the head in case any of you were wondering.

I had one for a while. Its alot of fun. Way too heavy though. Modding the modules is the way to go. Lots of great info on the MTS forum. Its a pretty good sounding amp.

I've always been very interested in these but never had a chance to play on one. I don't agree with the idea of it being gimmicky like rocknroll9225 said. This idea is used a lot in recording studios with 500 series modules. We have an API lunchbox at the studio I work at and it's awesome. It's very cool to be able to switch out the modules and put together a "custom" channel strip in the studio.

Back